Thread: Cloning and OEM EULA violation?

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar

Cloning and OEM EULA violation?

I was doing some work inside GHOST, and suddenly I thought about something:
    Am I violating the EULA for Windows XP pro OEM if I do a ghost of a system and use it as a baseline for all systems?
    Now, that is a tricky question, since every computer I will be installing the image already has XP pro with the licence OEM.
    What happen is that we are going to buy 15 computers with the same setup, and they are all going to be used for the same. So I have to install a bunch of software in each compuer and I thought about just doing it in one computer and then make and image and use that. It would save me a lot of time, but........it suddenly strike me, I might not be able to do that.
    Does anyone know this?
    How can I make sure?

I heard somewhere that each computer part has a different serial number that XP reads so I'm not sure if that would work.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    According to strict adherence policies, Yes you would be violating the EULA. The only way around that is by using a site license.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    yeah I think rik is correct we have os images here and they use a corp license key for the images.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    It is ok to make a ghost image of OEM XP and roll it out to all the computers ONLY if you have OEM licenses for each computer, and use the licenses for each computer. So, you will have to create a SYSPREP ghost image that asks for the license key for each computer. Your other files on the ghost should be fine.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    or just ghost them all with one key then just use the little key changer app to the correct oem key.

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    I like phis idea, because I didn't run sysprep before creating the image. IF not...I will have to set up a new system prepare it, then run sysprep
    Yes Cash, each PC has its own Licence. Basically, we bought a bunch of computers all same model, all with Windows XP pro (we buy from CDW-G, so it comes with Licences)
    All this computers are going to have the same use, so I have to install Symantec AV corp, Office 2K, VB6, Sheridan, Cyrstal Reports, Oracle, and more importantly I have to download all updates (very time consuming because of reboot) and finish configuring)
    I prefer to do imaging, and just go and change each computer name to join it to the domain, and finish setting up the email account.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Phishs idea is great, and saves time for sysprep Hmmm will have to use this idea for our next rollout

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---