Thread: Using IP Security in Windows 2003

Question Using IP Security in Windows 2003

I'm having a slight problem connecting to the net when using IPSec in Windows 2003. The filter i've set up is just permit from me to any address, from any port to port 80, which seems to work from my laptop which is running XP but not the workstation with 2003. I'm connecting through a Gateway, I'm not sure if this is causing any complications, but before when I was using Kerio under XP it wouldn't let me browse unless I had allowed the IGMP protocol, however i've also set a filter allowing full access on every port to the gateway but still having no luck connecting to websites. Although on the other hand if i set IE up use of proxy and set a filter for that server all works fine.

Not sure If thats enough or too much info, but if anyone knows something I don't, could u tell me?

Cheers,
    Coffee.
    Live long and prosper!

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    What type internet connection do you have and are you trying to connect using VPN?

Sorry, the Gateway is just another station on the same network, so just standard Ethernet connection, it's connected to a wireless ADSL modem and then off to who knows where.

Hope thats some help.
    Live long and prosper!

I guess no one's got any ideas?

I'm also looking to upgrade from IPv4 to 6, i've heard once/if I get to grips with it, things should be quite easy to manage, although I'm a bit dissapointed there's no GUI for it. Unless there is? Just one thought though, I'm guessing 6 would have priority over 4 normally and if connections are not possible with IPv6 then it uses 4, however is IPv4 still needed for things to function properly? (Just a random thought)
    Live long and prosper!

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Not sure about this one, you should check the policy again, perhaps you are allowing TCP in one policy but closing them in another.

Also, I wouldnt worry about IPv6 at the moment, it still is yet to be fully adopted by mainstream. IPv6 is supposed to be easier to manage, with increased header space, just wait for software packages that tap into it... similar to SNMP.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---