Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Net Admin] Tools

Smile Windows Steady State

Free add-on that enables you to lock down a computer whereby it works when turned on in a disk cache, this is then removed when you reboot restoring the computer to the setup by admin state.

You have to be a bit careful setting it up but only to the extent that you set everything how you want it then commit changes to disk then reboot and then enable the disk protection. Make sure you create the user profiles and commit changes before reboot otherwise it will need to set up the profiles every time you boot as the disk protection will remove the user's profile folders.

It is useful for an internet Kiosk type machine, spare PC used for loan outs or any system where you don't want the user making changes to their own system but saving files to a central server or external drive. You might also use it on an internet surfing machine so that you can surf on the dark side without getting your PC infected to hell with spyware and trojans.
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

Mountvol

You know you sometimes get an error message with a disk described as some volume \\?\Volume{876827-2029-00978LOADSOFBLOODYNUMBERS} and you dont 't have a clue what it's talking about. Go to the command prompt and type 'mountvol' [enter] - and it tells you.

MS FTP vs All China Hacking Squad

Fed up of seeing thousands of logon attempts for administrator/sql/abby/test against your MS FTP server - join the club

Try this if you must use MS FTP - http://www.insight-onsite.us/IO/Prog...0Security.aspx seems to work OK to me.

I have also written some stuff to add swathes of IPs to the ban lists of various IIS bits (websites, SMTP service, FTP). If anyone is inerested I might put them up - I am talking about adding 50000 plus ips at a time banning whole countries in a single bound. But if you wanna go this far it might be easier to just add those thousands you do want to be able to get on rather than the millions you want to ban.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Excellent advice as always.

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar

RichCopy Tool and RoboCopy GUI

I used RoboCopy GUI for years, but I am now switching to RichCopy.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/m...spotlight.aspx
    RichCopy does copy a lot faster. I have used it to recover files from failed hard drives (laptop hard drive, connected to a desktop) and copied 16 GB in about 20 minutes, giving me the list of corrupted files at the end (14 mp3). Needless to say the person was super happy, and I did it really fast
    Robocopy and RichCopy are GUI based, but can be used from command line as well. I have a server that has 6 scheduled tasks to copy 8 databases each (access dbs), and this tool does it in seconds.
    On another note, I wanted to point out that Hobbit has changed it name to Xymon and there has been some new changes. I can setup our network monitoring in a couple of hours (I can do it in 15 minutes now, but a couple of hours if I had to setup a brand new network) and it works awesome in an old linux server (or PC). I am running our production network monitoring and helpdesk from an ATOM pc that I build for about 250$
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/hobbitmon/

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Second the RichCopy App, very handy!

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---