Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2003

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    You can download the video drivers from the manufacturer's site. First get the card manufacturer name and the model number. Now, probably you see the lines because the resolution is too high for the monitor. Just boot into safe mode (pressing F8) and lower all the way the resolution. XP will let you go up to 800x600, if that is not enought I can tell you how to go lower than that. It is possible

Titanium Member
    It's 640x480 - windows update reports 17 critical and only one driver (modem) needed.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Personally I wouldn't bother getting any drivers from the Critical update site. Go to the Manufacturer.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rik
    Personally I wouldn't bother getting any drivers from the Critical update site. Go to the Manufacturer.
    Agreed. MS still tells me my Nvidia card needs updating when I have the latest Forceware drivers straight from the Nvidia!!

Titanium Member
    it did not tell me that I need video driver and I did not install any drivers. The only driver it said was modem.

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    That is what we are trying to tell you. You are using the drivers that Windows itself installed. Could you boot to safe mode? If you did, then definitively is a driver issue, because safe mode usus standard svga drivers. You have to get the card model and download the drivers from the chips manufacturer (ATI, Nvidia, Intel, Sis) Windows doesn't update my drivers at work, because the card I have is a Quadro, but Nvidia always have new drivers for it. Just as an example, the drivers that Windows install for my video card, makes window switching a pain. It takes long time (I read on Nvidia somethig about drawing the window) with the drivers from Nvidia I work fine.
    In the last case, send me the computer, I will fix it
    WA is Washington, right? you could always drive to here. I am in Maryland, just a couple of days away ROAD TRIP!!

Titanium Member
    Well, It works fine now. No need to go to safe mode. I will check the videol I think it's built in - the PC is a sony vaio.