Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new firewall

Titanium Member

new firewall

I'm getting tired of Sygate's idiosyncrasies (occasional hiding from sys tray, weird forum problem yesterday, etc). What do you think of this? http://www.privacyware.com/personal_firewall.html

Rated #1 here but Sygate was not included: http://www.all-internet-security.com..._software.html

Personal Firewalls have become as pervasive to individual desktops as their more complex network cousins and just as vital. Connecting to the Internet without one, would be like leaving valuables in a safe without a door.

Privatefirewall monitors and allows connections that it knows to be trusted or authorized, preventing spread of worm attacks or theft of data at the desktop level where most of the critical corporate information is created.

Privatefirewall keeps you safe from hackers and other online criminals by eliminating unauthorized access to your PC at home, the office, or on the road. Top-rated by reviewers and customers alike, Privatefirewall is simple to use, highly effective, and priced for the value-minded.
    Last edited by lynchknot; April 26th, 2004 at 17:28 PM.

one word..... OUTPOST
    "If you want SQUARE work, you DON'T CUT CORNERS!!!!"

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    I use Outpost as well and recommend the Techsterz to give it a try.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Titanium Member
    One feature that may be good or rather an annoyance - but sounds good (and something that Sygate does not do) - See the red text in screenshot? Sygate will give any application blanket go ahead (I think) This firewall will ask several times per app if necessary - will Outpost do this as well? - Is this the latest outpost? Pro 2.0.225.2919

Last edited by lynchknot; April 26th, 2004 at 20:22 PM.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lynchknot
    One feature that may be good or rather an annoyance - but sounds good (and something that Sygate does not do) - See the red text in screenshot? Sygate will give any application blanket go ahead (I think) This firewall will ask several times per app if necessary - Is this the latest outpost? Pro 2.0.225.2919
    Sygate like most firewalls has the same feature.It all depends on whether you choose to tick the "remember" box,or manually opt to allow each time.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lynchknot
    Is this the latest outpost? Pro 2.0.225.2919

http://www.techzonez.com/comments.php?shownews=8196

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Titanium Member
    Reverend, even ticking the remember does not work - as it states: "...will only be allowed temporarily...." also it asks several times for differing protocols within a single app. There is no one click allow for each app. For instance, Eprompter - mail client. Sygate would have asked me one time to allow the whole app. This firewall asked me some 5 times -even after checking "remember" - there was something different with each request.

Titanium Member
    I had to answer several times with outlook as there was no one click remember. Different elements required me to allow each one.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    havent been running a firewall in a few weeks so which one should I try guys. mcafee is to automatic for me. I liked sygate but is there any others that are highly recommended and tested.

Titanium Member
    I'm thinking Outpost since the majority here uses it. I'll give this one another day or so. The cop in the sys tray, with blinking color sign, is cool though.

Last edited by lynchknot; April 26th, 2004 at 21:08 PM.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    I still like Sygate.

Titanium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rik
    I still like Sygate.
    I do too but after having to reinstall it several times, i'm tired of it.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phishhead
    havent been running a firewall in a few weeks so which one should I try guys. mcafee is to automatic for me. I liked sygate but is there any others that are highly recommended and tested.
    Got McAfee running on one box (I'm pretty happy with it)...and nothing running on the other. I need something that doesnt hog resources else my computer becomes a slug.

Titanium Member
    There was a memory leak for a minute but has since fixed itself? Mem usage is at 9,482k for the past several hours. I forgot what Sygate was.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    like Outpost except that it robs my internet connection of about 25 kbps. I'm using Zone Alarm Pro. Quite happy with it.