Thread: VTPreset.exe

Gold Member

VTPreset.exe

I found VTPreset.exe in my start items. I searched for it on Google, and it talks about hi-jacking . What is this entry, and do I need it, or should I delete it. I am running Windows XP Home. I just ran AD-Aware and a full virus scan and found nothing. I am behind a Linksys BEFSR41 router.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    I just created a thread about how to remove spyware from your computer,

Have you updated ad-aware before your scan?

http://www.techzonez.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9739
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Gold Member
    Yes I did. I also ran Spybot S&D. It found about 11 items that I told it to remove, but none of them sounded like that VTPreset.exe file

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    mike I just did a google for it and couldnt break any of it down to that specific executable. I would recommend renaming it to vtpreset.bak and reboot and see if it does any harm if everything seems fine delete the file. but youre right seems to conicide with spyware and hi-jacking your homepage. are you getting alot of popups because thats what people were complaining about.

Gold Member
    I went back into MSCONFIG / STARTUP and unchecked that item so it does not load at startup. Haven't noticed any difference. As far as popup's, don't really see any difference. I also ran Easy cleaner, and removed about 228 references to the registry. Again I see no difference. I guess I can do a search for that particular file and delete it ??

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    I found this info, it may help:

Name: Friend
    Date: April 25, 2004 at 09:51:49 Pacific
    Subject: McAfee scan showing adaware????
    Reply:

Hey Tazzyness, don't delete this entry.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VTPreset] VTPreset.exe

As far as i know it is a file related to the S3 graphics chip or card (what ever...i dont' know). Cuz i also have this same graphics chip, i mean its not a card. Its inbuilt with the motherboard. I got suspicious and searched for it. This file is in C:\WINDOWS\system32 forlder of my computer. U can find urs too. Right click the file and click properties. Go to "version" tab and u will see the S3 graphic company stuff written here. It comes with the latest driver i guess. So better not delete it.