Thread: [Net admin] Backup software for LAN?

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar

[Net admin] Backup software for LAN?

Hey guys. I am considering changing the backup software that we use at work. It is simply too painful. We are currently using Veritas 7.5. I do have the version 8.6 but I cannot install it in the server that it is suppouse to go, because it tells me I need a different licence (we already paid for the licence and upgrade program)
    Anyhow, Veritas tells me the server I am trying to install it has a higher level, so I need a different licence, and so, I need to buy a new one.
    So, I decided, GO TO HELL, I look for something else
    Anyhow, I know that Veritas is said to be the best for corporate enviroments, but lately I have heard bad things about it. My own complain is that the backup of the workstations halt because it has a limit in the quantity of errors for a job. Which I think is kind of dull, because some worsktation are turned off, some didn't have the remote agent (and it detects as an error) and bla, and I cannot simply update the jobs so it won't fail.
    What do you guys recomend?
    I was looking for an updated comparison chart of different backup utilities, but I wasn't able to find anything.
    It needs to back up Exchange 5.5 too (soon it will be 2003 hopefully) and it wouldn't hurt if it has Oracle database backup ability, but it is not a must (I already do dumps of those databases)

No suggestions on this Thread?

Well, being you're on a LAN, here in my workplace, we use ARCSERVE (both incremental and full backups). As for the backup of workstations, that's up to the users. (for those who care enough to backup their system via CD)
    "If you want SQUARE work, you DON'T CUT CORNERS!!!!"

We used to have ArcServe before Veritas. Didn't work well.
    The users that we have have a low IT level, so most cannot backup their systems.
    Veritas works pretty good, if it wasn't that it is not dinamic for users. I mean, a backup software should be telling you, "You are backing up 73 computers of 102 found on the network" "There were 7 computers offline at time of the process, list follows: computer 1, ....."
    Veritas just fails with the workstations, so Unless I read a large log file I don't know if the backup went thru or it was because computers off. If I aim for 100% sucess backup jobs, I would spent most of the day re-arranging the workstations backup.