Thread: Speed Up XP's Search Function by omitting Compressed Files

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

Arrow Speed Up XP's Search Function by omitting Compressed Files

By Diana Huggins

When you use the Search function in Windows XP, it includes any compressed or zipped folders in the search. If you have a lot of folders on your computer that are compressed, this can slow down the search. If you rarely use this function, performance may not be a concern to you. However, there is a way that you can configure Windows XP to not include your compressed folders when performing searches. Personally, I have so many folders on my computer that are in a compressed format (could be an occupational hazard). Once I disabled Windows XP search from looking in my compressed folders, I did notice an increase in search performance. So on that note, if you're interested in speeding things up, here is what you have to do. Simply open the run command from the Start Menu and type the following command:

Regsvr32 c:\Windows\System32\zipfldr.dll /u

Conversely, you can undo this and again include compressed folders in your searches using the above command without the /u switch.

Another good find from the lockergnome newsletter.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    is this the same as disabling compresssed folders in winxp ?? or does it only relate to the search function?

Nice tip though

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    no,
    This is related only to the search function. Disabling compressed folders in Xp deals with the OS. This deals with the search function within the OS AFAICT