Thread: My firewall or anti-virus was stopping the upload on my cable.

My firewall or anti-virus was stopping the upload on my cable.

I turned them off with Earthlinks advice. It worked. What do I do for an anti-

virus and firewall now? Did I configure them wrong? I saw no way to

configure them different. I had Panda anti-virus and a firewall

through 'System Mechanic Pro 4'. Thank you.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Err... did you try upload with one or the other program still running or did you require that Both the AV and Firewall had to be disabled to upload ??

I would be suprised if the AV was interfering, perhaps it was a mis-setting in the firewall that was blocking a specific component. Now, what were you uploading? do you mean just being able to surf the Internet, or send/receive emails or FTP serving ?? Or just any sort of upload ie HTTP request, PING, DNS lookup?

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Quote Originally Posted by cash_site
    Err... did you try upload with one or the other program still running or did you require that Both the AV and Firewall had to be disabled to upload ??

I would be suprised if the AV was interfering, perhaps it was a mis-setting in the firewall that was blocking a specific component. Now, what were you uploading? do you mean just being able to surf the Internet, or send/receive emails or FTP serving ?? Or just any sort of upload ie HTTP request, PING, DNS lookup?
    I did a broadband speed test. It said my upload speed

was 10 kb/s. Earthlink told me to disconnect my firewall and anti-virus. It

worked. My firewall and anti-virus are in 'System Mechanic Pro 4'. The anti-

virus is Panda. I did not change the configuration from default settings.

Thanks.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    veronica I dont see how an av app can stop your net connection...now a firewall yes if not configured properly it will not allow outgoing traffic. have you disabled the firewall only to see if you have outbound traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by phishhead
    veronica I dont see how an av app can stop your net connection...now a firewall yes if not configured properly it will not allow outgoing traffic. have you disabled the firewall only to see if you have outbound traffic.
    Earthlink support told me to turn off my firewall and anti-virus and try it. I did and the upload went from 10 kb/s to 386 kb/s. I did a speed test for broadband.

Quote Originally Posted by veronica
    Earthlink support told me to turn off my firewall and anti-virus and try it. I did and the upload went from 10 kb/s to 386 kb/s. I did a speed test for broadband.
    Granted Earthlink told you to disable AV and Firewall then redo test, and it was somewhat successful. What we are trying to establish is, if you just enable the AV, and redo the test, what is your upload speed ??

If the speed is low, then it seems that system mechanic is corrupt - try reinstall or uninstall and look for new apps.

good luck V.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Quote Originally Posted by cash_site
    Granted Earthlink told you to disable AV and Firewall then redo test, and it was somewhat successful. What we are trying to establish is, if you just enable the AV, and redo the test, what is your upload speed ??

If the speed is low, then it seems that system mechanic is corrupt - try reinstall or uninstall and look for new apps.

good luck V.
    I got rid of the AV part of 'System Mechanic'. I turned on the firewall. The download speed is 2500 kb/s. The upload is 382 kb/s. This is after I installed Kaspersky AV. It seems to be ok now. I did the test with both the AV and firewall off. Thank you both for your help.

well, its great that it works, and you are getting good experience with it.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---