Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Death: What do you think about it?

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

Question Death: What do you think about it?

Have you thought about death? Do you think about it? If so, post your thoughts in this thread.

We all are going to have to confront death eventually. What's your take on it? How do you see yourself in the light of death's site? Are you spiritual? If so, has that helped you to cope with death?

Just wondering if any of you think about it. I do nearly every day. Don't get me wrong I am not some morbid freak. It just creeps into my head. See it on the news, read it here. Hear about someone dying..

Titanium Member
    In Memory Of Me - http://community-2.webtv.net/Lynchcy...NOT/page6.html

I'm curious about reincarnation. There was a news show topic on the subject. A 21-year-old Navy fighter pilot on a mission over the Pacific was shot down by Japanese artillery. His name might have been forgotten, were it not for 6-year-old James Leininger. At the age of 3 he was doing what appeared to be pre-flight checks. Another time his mother bought him a toy plane, and pointed out what appeared to be a bomb on its underside. She says James corrected her, and told her it was a drop tank. "I'd never heard of a drop tank," she said. "I didn't know what a drop tank was."

More: http://more.abcnews.go.com/sections/...on_040415.html

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    A long time ago in the 70's I did a couple of hits of Orange Sunshine LSD and man I had a nice trip. I was tripping away having all kinds of fun with my buddies, I'll never forget that trip Anyway when I was coming down from my trip I could feel my arms hurting and I said what the heck is going on...then I saw my whole family standing over me and it freaked me out because I thought I was in the desert partying away, I couldn't figure out how they got there.

Yep I was having a nice trip all right, turns out I was in the hospital in a coma. I had been in that coma for two weeks!!! HOLY COW! seemed like a normal 8-12 hr LSD trip turned into two weeks....I would of never known if I died, I never even knew I was in a coma, everything seemed normal (LSD normal) to me. I still to this day remember most of the trip, yet I've never known anything about how I ended up in the hospital.

The only thing that scares me about death is the route to death. I think it would be terrible to have a sickness or pain & suffering before death, its life I'm scared of. What will my route to death be ? what quality of life of life will I experience before I meet death ?

Death its self isn't scary, its a finality you'll never know happened when its your turn. Your death or mine is only something that the loved one's we leave behind experience.

I don't know how I'll die, but I do know I have some control the route to my death will take. The quality of life preceding my death won't be squandered, sickness and the pain & suffering it brings has no place in my life. I'll never let that happen, I'll relive the 70's, Dr. Kevorkian will be my DJ and Jimmi's Purple Haze will be the last dance of the night

Titanium Member
    They had a term for your condition in the 70's - 80's. They called it, "lightweight" -

hehe, sorry FG - I'm glad you made it back and that you are here. The world would not be the same without your presence.

Yeah, I attended "high" school in the mid/late 70's in Southern California - everything was cool back then. I even went to class, laughing my ass off.

Hey Conan slow down, OMG egghead's on my tail & BB is coming up fast
    - looks like you need to get off the brakes and stop throwing out your contraband to reduce weight, it's not going to make you any faster -
    Last edited by lynchknot; May 2nd, 2004 at 19:05 PM.

Nobody knows I'm a dog. TZ Veteran petard's Avatar
    Death. It's the next to last thing to happen to you.

To think about death is like wondering how it would be to be alive. Death is something that will happen to us all at some unknown time and place. No one knows what death looks like, smells like, etc.. If the truth were know one only wants to die when life is not good for them anymore. I think death will be a reflection of the life that you have while on this earth. We all have to live with the deeds done in our past. Death will be a time of pondering what was done right or wrong. Your time as a non-breathing spirit will allow you to make corrections in you way of thinking.

As your time to renter the flesh and bone comes near you will fell the excitement of a little child at Christmas time. The only thing is you will enter not knowing of your past. Ever wonder what dejavo is about?

Last edited by Tinker; May 3rd, 2004 at 00:47 AM.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Well said Tinker. I whole-heartedly agree.

BB:

Hope you can leave this posted for 4-5 days anyway. I have some very definite things I would like to say on this topic, but won't be able to post them before then.

wumply
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wumply
    BB:

Hope you can leave this posted for 4-5 days anyway. I have some very definite things I would like to say on this topic, but won't be able to post them before then.

wumply
    Wumply, the thread will always be here, you just have to bookmark http://www.techzonez.com/forums/showthread.php?p=58330 to reach it

Thanks for that tip, Supastar!

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    Death is what comes after life. That is for the person that dies. For the rest is the memory of the person that is no more with us.
    I would like to be remembered as a good friend, and that are my funeral actually people are Laughing and drinking. Celebrating. Because I might be with them anymore, but I don't want to make them sad. I don't want a funeral reception. No need for people to see me in the coffin. I prefer them remembering me, as if I was there, and not the last image as me immobile. That is not me, I can barely sit in front of the computer for more than 30 seconds without changing positions

Tinker's concept of death was beautifully phrased by someone (I don't know who) who wrote: "Death is an appointment we must all keep and for which no time is set."

Before I express my own thoughts about death, let me note that I tend very strongly to believe that reincarnation is at least an option. I base this very much on two books by Ian Stevenson, a professor (he may be retired now) at the University of Virginia. They are called Twenty Cases Suggestive of Reincarnation and Children Who Remember Previous Lives. In the latter the children spontaneously recall having lived an earlier life; many, many of the details they recall have been verified because these children returned to earth quite quickly. This permitted Dr.Stevenson to go to their town and place of residence, talk to the claimed parents and verify many facts the children remembered. I tend to credit all this because Dr. Stevenson was clearly a very careful investigator and yet will not unequivocally state that he has proved reincarnation. Also creditable is the fact that the remembrances of very young children are spontaneous---usually before 8-9 years of age. (After 8-9 almost all tend to forget their memories.)

wumply

That said, I am reluctant to leave this earth and I will feel a great sadness at having to leave its manifold beauty and feel much pain over knowing I will not see my sons and grandchildren again. Dying, if I am conscious, won't be easy and I hope I get to say 'goodbye" and that I go quickly without pain, preferably in my sleep. I am aware I have "more years behind me than ahead of me"...I am 73. I don't think about dying much (I'm lucky to be in good health) but I am conscious of my body slowly wearing out. I guess I don't think about it much because I can't do much about it. All my affairs are in order and I've arranged for cremation as it is simple, inexpensive and does not use up cemetery space. I'm sentimental enough to want my ashes to be scattered in the New Hampshire countryside where I grew up. I'm not religious; I don't know there is a god but I find it hard to explain my existence and the world's unless I postulate a super being. Life has had a great deal of pain but also times of intense joy.

wumply

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Well wumply hopefully you have many more years to hang out with us...regardless we'll see you again once the server is rebooted.

Titanium Member
    Have you guys heard of Edgar Cayce? - http://www.edgarcayce.org/search.html

His "readings" were well documented and has never been refuted, from what I have read.
    Last edited by lynchknot; May 5th, 2004 at 17:38 PM.

They always struck me as somewhat vague...generalized and unfortunately there is, I believe, no direct evidence of his words...though I may be incorrect here