Thread: Another Mozilla Tip - Speed up Adobe Reader

Another Mozilla Tip - Speed up Adobe Reader

This from the Mozilla Newsletter.
    Mozilla Links PowerTip: Optimize Adobe Reader Plug-in Load Time
    (contributed by Percy Cabello)

You may have noticed that Adobe Reader for Windows takes a while to load when opening a PDF document from a web site. This is because it loads several rarely used plug-ins on startup. You can improve startup by preventing those plug-ins being loaded without losing any feature:

- Open the folder where Adobe Reader is installed (in Windows, it usually is C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat5.x\Reader or C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader).
    - Here you will find "plug_ins" and "optional" subfolders.
    - Open "plug_ins" subfolder and move all subfolders and .API files to the "Optional" folder

The next time you open a PDF document in Adobe Reader or within
    Mozilla, you should notice a much faster load (up to six times
    faster!).
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

This didn't work well with me, now Adobe freezes. I had to reinstall, maybe I did something wrong?
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Sorry, I haven't had time to try it myself.

I tried this idea too with Adobe Reader 6.0--like Staind. But never did see the usual start-up page of Adobe Reader (the one with "Adobe" and all the small white lettering, line after line). I tried to open 2 files from 2 sites that said their files were .pdf. I tried to open 4 pdf files on my computer. Nothing opened. So I dragged the 6-7 folders and about 20-25 API files back to where they were. Then Adobe Reader worked normally. I am using Home Edition. I believe I did it correctly. Buggers! Am going to bed! It's 1:45 AM.

wumply
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

This post was some time ago. I don't remember much about my original dealings with this tip. I think that I finally got around to implimenting it.

Since then there has been an Adobe update that speeds loading. I installed the update and did get a noticeable improvement. Links to the update are in the related links section below.

Rev, maybe it is time to close this thread.