Thread: Difference between VGA and AGP

Difference between VGA and AGP

I know my computer has drivers for both, but what does each actually do; what are the differences between them?

VGA (video graphics array) is an old standard for the PC. The maximum resolution was 640 x 480 pixils with 16 colors. The VGA monitor had a plug with two rows of pin that connected to the video card instead of the three rows that our modern monitors have today.

Since introduction of early PCs there have been a number of video standards. They include Monochrome Display Adapter (MDA), Hercules graphics card, Color Graphics Adapter (CGA), Enhanced Graphics Adapter (EGA), Video Graphics Adapter (VGA), and Super VGA (SVGA).

AGP, on the other hand stands for Accelerated Graphics Port. The AGP is the connector on the motherboard that the AGP graphics card is plugged into. The original AGP slot was said to capable of four times the throughput of the PCI slot which was rated at 66MHz bus speed.
    Last edited by efc; May 5th, 2004 at 13:15 PM.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

This is where I get baffled. My computer was purchased in July of 2002; it just got a new mobo. The standby button (in XP) did not work after the new mobo was installed; I dowloaded the AGP file (5.28 mb) and installed it. Didn't help. Then I installed the vga driver from the floppy that came with the mobo. Now the standby button worked. It's interesting since this computer is fairly new and having, one would suppose, an up to date "video graphics array", that the standby icon now worked--presumably because of the VGA driver's effect. Is my computer do you think, still using VGA and using it to do something different than AGP does?

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    If you do a google search for VGA you will find a vast array of information. It all boils down to sequence of events that need to happen within your system to allow all the links in the chain to function properly, usually associated with the proper drivers. By installing your VGA driver disk, the keyboard can now communicate with the system and send the signal to your monitor telling it to shut down. Your accelerated graphics port is something altogether different in the chain, not to be confused with VGA. VGA is still an important part of computer monitors and never really goes away. Take a look at systems and what their displays offer...VGA, Super VGA...blah, blah, blah...again it depends on what you see and how you well you see it. The VGA and AGP work hand in hand to create the visual images that you experience everytime you fire up the system....damn, I'm soooooo confused...lol.

Accelerated Graphics Port. An interface specification from Intel that enables 3-D graphics to display quickly on personal computers. AGP is based on PCI, but is designed especially for the high throughput requirements of 3-D graphics. Rather than using the PCI bus for graphics data, AGP introduces a dedicated point-to-point channel so that the graphics controller can directly access main memory which ultimately affects what you see and how you see it on your monitor.

Hope this helps you to understand it a little better.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    I think with regard to your motherboard (SIS chipset?) it's just terminology. Instead of calling it chipset drivers they called it VGA drivers.

Thanks, Piper...that was a helpful answer.
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wumply
    Thanks, Piper...that was a helpful answer.
    My pleasure sir!! glad I could assist.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Piper was correct, but just to clarify... AGP and VGA are totally different, only barely related.

Simply put, AGP is the port on the motherboard in which you plug video cards into. While VGA is more the compatibility of the actual video card.

Also, conan's suggestion is correct. SIS bundle basic I/O drivers (chipset etc) with their basic VGA drivers.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---