Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New ATI Control Panel to be Released

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

New ATI Control Panel to be Released

Had to hotlink that because it just looks too sweet. They have done a fine job bringing all the tabs together into a more user friendly interface. The rounded grey frames look outstanding, and well the whole thing looks more refined from what I can tell of the above image.

Can't wait for these drivers to be released. I wonder if omega will brand this new control panel as I like their drivers much better.

Source: Warp2search
    Last edited by Big Booger; May 5th, 2004 at 10:31 AM.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    I saw that with the X800 tests.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    It looks very nice indeed.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Looks better than nVidia's offerings...

Got to get me an ATI

....hmmm I think I'll grab one tonight after work!

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SupaStar

Got to get me an ATI

YES, this looks great... excellent improvements !! Hopefully not as buggy as earlie Catalyst Panels.

Supa, so how did you go, do you own more Asus products now ??

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Quote Originally Posted by cash_site
    Supa, so how did you go, do you own more Asus products now ??
    I do

Picked up an ASUS A9600 XT/TVD (http://au.asus.com/products/vga/r9600xt/overview.htm) which is simply a Radeon 9600XT VIVO. I'm extremely pleased with the card so far. Games run much better than on my 32MB card (as expected) but enough so to justify the spend. Load times are considerably shorter and lag is almost non-existant.

There's a small issue with my monitor whereby it doesn't always start up in the refresh rate that it was when i switched it off, but I may have found a workaround by launching MultiRes at startup. It's a funny problem because my refresh rate is set at 120Hz before I shutdown my PC, but often when I switch it back on, it has dropped to 85Hz.

All in all, a great card IMO. Very well built and within my budget.

(Thanks to Conan for the initial recommendation and to Cash_site for telling me that MSY has a store closer to home )

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Wow finally, congrats on the new card! With regards to your refresh rate bug, do you have the Reg Tweak "Fast Shutdown" enabled? That caused havoc with my Zone Alarm forgetting every setting on start-up. My problems went away when I disabled that tweak.

Quote Originally Posted by Conan
    Wow finally, congrats on the new card! With regards to your refresh rate bug, do you have the Reg Tweak "Fast Shutdown" enabled? That caused havoc with my Zone Alarm forgetting every setting on start-up. My problems went away when I disabled that tweak.
    Thanks, I'll check it out Conan. My XP settings are default. I have applied no tweaks yet.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Can the new control panel be installed over the old one?Will it matter if I don't have the latest ATI video drivers installed.?
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    @SupaStar, make sure the refresh over ride in the control panel is checked, you shouldn't need any refresh fix program. Also make sure your monitor drivers are installed correctly, when you restart PC ATI SmartGart is checking your system. If monitor doesn't support the refresh then SmartGart resets it.

@zipp51, you should uninstall the old control panel first, usually the control panels are driver specific. but ??

Quote Originally Posted by FastGame
    @SupaStar, make sure the refresh over ride in the control panel is checked, you shouldn't need any refresh fix program. Also make sure your monitor drivers are installed correctly, when you restart PC ATI SmartGart is checking your system. If monitor doesn't support the refresh then SmartGart resets it.
    Hey thanks for the tip. Sounds like you know your sh*t. I'll check that when I get home too

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SupaStar

Got to get me an ATI

That is exactly what I did....so long nvidia...hello ati...card is running sweet so far...and farcry sure does put a card to the test.

Quote Originally Posted by PIPER
    That is exactly what I did....so long nvidia...hello ati...card is running sweet so far...and farcry sure does put a card to the test.
    Yeh, thats the next game I need to get!!

Quote Originally Posted by FastGame
    Hey FastGame I cant seem to find any refresh override checkbox. Can you point me in the right direction?

With reference to my monitor, it is a 19" Compaq P900. I dowloaded and installed the drivers found here but it is still shown as a 'Default Monitor'. Will this make a difference? I have read on a spec sheet that the monitor can do 1600X1200@120Hz so I'm not sure why it keeps reverting to 85Hz.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    When your in the control panel click on the monitor tab and make sure it says the name of your monitor, if it doesn't then it may be using the native XP drivers and they might not support the refresh at your running resolution. While your there set the refesh rate on the pull down tab.

Now go to the Disply tab and click on the rectangle that says monitor, you should see DDC information with the name of your monitor with Max Resolution & Refresh, make sure info is correct. Look below and you'll see the Refresh rate over ride, set and click apply.

I think 85mhz is plenty My monitor supports up to 160mhz but I use 85mhz because thats the max refresh on my monitor @1600x1200 the res I play my games at, I disable V-sync

If you use 120mhz make sure you disable V-sync, if you don't and your FPS drop to a certain level you'll lose a bunch of performance in Open GL unless you enable Triple Buffers You should have your games set at a high resolution with everything in the game turned on and set to the highest levels, I highly doubt you be running at 120FPS so you'll be in the danger zone of needing Triple Buffers in OpenGL....

If you want to run @120mhz & V-sync then go to the 3D tab, click the OpenGL and click on Compatibility. You'll see where you can set Triple Buffers.

I would just set D3D & OpenGL to disable V-sync......

[edit]= according to this http://www.monitorworld.com/Monitors.../QSMONPERF.pdf your monitor only does 85mhz @1600x1200...scroll down page for your monitor.
    Last edited by FastGame; May 12th, 2004 at 05:04 AM.