Thread: Best way to route over 2 subnets?

Question Best way to route over 2 subnets?

Does anyone know the best way to route over 2 different subnets?

The network at the moment is a little strange but the basic layout was... (Wireless DSL Router)->(Hub)->(192.168.0.x), however now there is a second subnet... (WDR)->(Hub)->( (192.168.0.x)/(->(Hub)->(142.10.x.x)) ). Hope that makes some sense. The thing is, i'm trying to get the best way to make as many resources available on the (192) subnet to the subnet on (142) and maybe even both ways.
    I've installed a proxy server thats connecting both subnets together which seems to be working fine for general internet usage, although still having a problem when client's download using IRC, the ports aren't mapped back to the client and get stuck at the proxy.

If that makes any sense to someone with networking/routing knowledge, I would be more than greatfull to hear from you.

P.S. Only been leaning about networks over this past couple of weeks, so please be nice.
    Live long and prosper!

Sorry forgot to say, the OS hosting the proxy is Windows 2003.
    Live long and prosper!

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Sorry first off, these are two different Networks, not Subnets.

What type of network is the 142.10.x.x as the 192.168.x.x is for private Internal networks?

You could look at getting a Bridge Device, essentially a type of router that forwards packets between 2 different networks. Also, Would it be possible for you change the 142.10.x.x IPs to 192.168.x.x ?? That would make it very easy

Have a look at 2003 settings, I do remember WinXP being able to software bridge two network cards in the PC.

Another option might be to replace the HUB leading to the second the Network, with a Router or Bridge, and configuring the links and port fowarding etc. You basically have to treat this scenario as two WANs

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Sorry for bout terminology ;P

I've tried out several different ways of routing and a bridge was one of them, in W2k3 all thats needed is right click when both cards are selected and then click bridge, which makes it easy to activate but after that I was a bit stumpped for choice and knowledge for further configuration, as I say, i've not been working with networks for long.
    Replacing the hub is pretty much not an option, not really wanting to spend any extra money if I can manage to set something up for virtually free, although having said that it may actually be the case a little later on. Changing the network config is also not really an easy option either. This may sound a little pointless in a way but i've heard linux can be a bit easier than windows to configure network routing, I may actually stick a box between the network hubs.

Having said all that i've just gone with a simple VPN PPTP dial on demand link, which certainly does the trick when joining networks, gives you all available resources from the other network simply because you've then got a second IP configured for it. The only (not exactly a) problem is assigning the network config to the client via DHCP, even if i have one running on either side of the network it still assigns a MS default IP. Don't suppose anyone knows about DHCP ?

Hmmm, I have to appologise for kind of answering my own questions.

Yours,
    Coffee.
    Live long and prosper!

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    No Probs Coffee... its these discussions that can lead us to our own discovery.

So did the bridge work or not??

will VPN will work too, good idea, nice and simple solution

For the DHCP, if you do not want Standard Private IP ie on your 142.x.x.x network, you may have to configure the DHCP service to assign in that range... else you may need a 3rd party DHCP software.

ALso, I wouldnt worry too much about getting the Linux box, they can be a pain to get fully installed and working... granted they do perform simple tasks well.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Quote Originally Posted by cash_site
    No Probs Coffee... its these discussions that can lead us to our own discovery.

So did the bridge work or not??

will VPN will work too, good idea, nice and simple solution

For the DHCP, if you do not want Standard Private IP ie on your 142.x.x.x network, you may have to configure the DHCP service to assign in that range... else you may need a 3rd party DHCP software.

ALso, I wouldnt worry too much about getting the Linux box, they can be a pain to get fully installed and working... granted they do perform simple tasks well.
    Thanks for the reply Cash_Site.

The bridge may have worked i'm not too sure. Once the bridge was established there was a second IP assigned to the bridge itself, which u can configure just about the same as any normal connection, also it seemed to not like u changing the details of the other 2 connections. I was stumpped for what to configure on the clients afterward and just gave up, it didn't really strike me as being what I wanted.

The VPN works a charm, and setting it up in Windows 2003 was very easy. All you need to do really us just make sure you have 2 NICs install RRAS, go through the wizard and answer a few questions, and then thats about it, pretty much works straight away depending on which option u've chosen also, VPN dial-up is probably one of the easiest. Now I have full access to all resources on the other network, including internet access.

I managed to get DHCP working in the end, all I needed was to enable NetBT and then clients picked it up straight away. I am wondering though...
    The DHCP is set up for giving addresses and details for the 142 network and all works fine, on the other hand though, when clients connecting to the 192 network are assigned an IP from a range by the RRAS server but I'm wanting to try and assign some other details to the dail-up clients by the DHCP. However it looks as though u can only have one DHCP server per machine, although this does confuse me a little as to having the option for multiple scopes.
    I let the RRAS server know to tell the new 192 clients to look for the DHCP server on the 142 network, however was a little lost for any kind of option to know when the RRAS server is requesting IPs.

Well, I hope that makes sense,
    Coffee.
    Live long and prosper!