Is this when connecting through the wireless connection?
Because of error in data encryption, this session will end. Please try connecting to the remote computer again
I keep getting that remote desktop error when I try remoting into my PC from inside my LAN. My LAN has 3 desktops and a wireless laptop, all running Windows XP and one machine running Windows XP/Mandrake 10.
They all connect through an I/O Data Ethernet Router.
no this is from PC A to PC B.
PC A 2.8ghz gigabit ethernet to router to other PC B gigabit ethernet.
Now from A to B it gives this error.
But from B to A, it doesn't and allows for regular logins over RDC.
I have already tried a terminal services regedit.. didn't work..
That is Microsoft's Advice.Because of an error in data encryption, this session will end. Please try connecting to the remote computer again.
Cause: Data encryption provides security for data traveling over network connections. A data encryption error can end a session for security reasons.
Solution: Try connecting to the remote computer again. Encryption policies can vary between systems and domains. If you continue to see this error message, contact the server administrator.
I have tried restaring both PCs.. I have disabled both software firewalls, I have opened up the Remote desktop ports to both machines in the router...
I don't get the problem here???
I've never ever encountered the problem BB and I use an RDC across my LAN and across the Internet EVERYDAY!
Sounds like the router could be causing some trouble. Perhaps you can try a different router or just connect the PCs with a crossover cable to eliminate this variable.
The thing is I've never had this problem before and I have used the same router, the same hardware for about 1 month.
I mean I just reinstalled windows XP on machine B. I did a search and this problem has been discovered but no Microsoft doesn't have a definite fix or answer for this.
Hmmm...sounds strange BB. It has never happened to me. I get the occasional "Network Error" disconnecting my computer, but thats it.
I am going to try to check the system file checker on both machines, chkdsk, and if that doesn't do it, I am going to reformat both machines cleanly.. I'll loose about 150GB, but it will be fresh and both machines should run smooth as silk afterward.
I shall first try to repair this problem.. I have to be able to use remote desktop. It is a necessity.
good luck BB, dont worry about the 150Gb, you could re-download it asap
--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---
Just wanted to know if the problem has been sorted out at all? Have just had a similar problem when using RDC, first off was an XP machine connecting to Server 2003, I had to install Terminal Services on 2003 to get it working at all, although from 2003 to XP was much easier, simply having to allow RDC to be used, I created an account specific for use and then just took the time on both machines to properly configure the GPO & user settings.
The problem I'm finding out a lot at the moment is if there is a slight missconfiguration in the GPO it can cause soo many things to stop working.
Having said that you may have already fixed the problem and my comment may even be completely usless, but never the less I feel it has to be said, the GPO is the bane of my computing days at the moment.
P.S. Make sure also not to use FIPS at all because RDP doesn't like it at all.
Live long and prosper!
Can you get into the TS/RD login screen, or does it just not connect at all?
Live long and prosper!
It goes into a black screen with the remote desktop window toolbar at the top, then that error pops up immediately.
I will eventually reformat all my HDDs.. and hopefully that will work.
MS doesn't give much help with this issue.. they say to contact the system administrator LOL But I am my own admin.
Well, this is a strange one, Microsoft certainly don't seem to have the answer , and as the OS is XP it's most certainly more difficult to work out the problem. The only thing I can think of is to cross check all network settings on both PCs, I know this is probably obviouse but make sure the username being used is enabled for RD in "System Properties / Remote", which should also group the username with the "Remote Desktop Users" group and the in the GPO's "Security Options" & "User Rights Assignment" make sure that group has the right access the computer from the network & to also logon locally.
On the terminals here i've had to mess about non stop with the GPO, so usually if there's a problem it's gonna be in there somewhere.
A good tool if you've not got it is MS's PortQuery, just generally tests the availability of ports, RD uses port 3389. Can also list all open ports and which processes are using which.
P.S. Also make sure the service packs match, not sure why though. And check the security logs for any further info.
Live long and prosper!
I begun to have similar problem a couple of days ago and while I was searching across the web for a possible explanation, I ran accross this board this morning.
One post pushed me to revise my router settings...
I did not remeber changing anything but... running into the DMZ tab in my settings, I had set it to the IP of my PC receiving incoming connections to test a couple of things and forgot to reset it!
I, just a couple of minutes ago, just removed my IP from the DMZ and my remote desktop connection is rock solid again!