Thread: Windows XP SP2: Pirates Get Support Too

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

Windows XP SP2: Pirates Get Support Too

Both legitimate and unlicensed users of Microsoft's XP operating system software will be able to download the Service Pack 2 security patch for free

Microsoft's increasing concern over information security has translated into its decision to bite the bullet and make its upcoming SP2 (Service Pack 2) security patch available to all users - including those using pirated copies of its Windows XP software.

"We haven't explicitly done anything to SP2 to exclude it from pirated copies," said Microsoft group product manager Barry Goffe. The United States-based executive was interviewed via telephone.

Advertisement

This is unlike SP1 (Service Pack 1), which had features to prevent users with pirated copies from downloading it. In SP2's case, the mammoth 80MB to 250MB patch can be downloaded and installed on computers running both legitimate and pirated copies.

Users can also request a free CD copy of SP2, although shipping charges could apply, something which the company has yet to finalise, said Mr Goffe.

"It was a tough choice, but we finally decided that even if someone has pirated copy of Windows, it is more important to keep him safe than it is to be concerned about the revenue issue," he added.

He admitted, however, that it is more than altruism that helped Microsoft come to this decision.

"Having these unsecured users means bigger worm and virus outbreaks - which also impacts the Internet and consequently, our legitimate users as well."

http://computertimes.asia1.com.sg/ne...4,2292,00.html

My Name is.... TZ Veteran Stripe's Avatar
    hmmm...in a typical left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing twist:

Contrary to the remarks it made to the ComputerTimes, Microsoft now claims that it will not permit users who have obtained Windows XP illegally to upgrade to its latest service release. Instead, the software giant will continue to enforce compliance with its licensing.

In a nutshell, Microsoft group product manager Barry Goffe told ComputerTimes that Windows XP Service Pack 2 would not exclude pirated copies from upgrading, and that it was more important to keep user safe than to be "concerned about the revenue issue."

To clarify its position, a Microsoft spokesperson told BetaNews, "Press reports indicating Windows XP Service Pack 2 will install on pirated or illegal copies of Windows XP are not entirely true. Prior to installing, SP2 will check the OS' product ID (PID) against a list of known pirated PIDs. If a PID is found to be invalid, SP2 will not install."
    Soource:
    BetaNews

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Boogs,that article is dated 5th May

Posted yesterday http://www.techzonez.com/comments.php?shownews=8640

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend
    Boogs,that article is dated 5th May

Posted yesterday http://www.techzonez.com/comments.php?shownews=8640
    hehe...i read it there too. I wonder which path MS will choose. Doesnt worry me none i'm all legit, but I'm still curious

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    it would be a safety to the general windows internet community for M$ to partially patch the pirate computers that can turn into zombies and infect legit customers for the next 5 years.

i think a critical update should be for all

but the sp2 for legit only

they can try to install and it plugs a couple holes and refuses to install and asks to contact M$ licensing would be appropriate.

egghead
    ------------------------------------------------------------

My computer was purchased from HP they did not give me a Windows XP disk instead those stupid rescue disks, so I was left with little choice when I formatted of what Windows to use.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

True, true. That happened when I had my Gateway. Now, I have Dell, which gives me a XP CD.
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    True that unpatched system are a burden with flaws, and most Pirate copies are unpatched... Solution: If patches or SP1/2 detects pirate, then uninstall OS so computer cant be zombie and infect for 5 years!!

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---