Thread: Why is Desktop.ini being displayed when logging on to a user?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    You could try Secure-IT from here http://www.sniff-em.com/secureit.shtml among the things it does is create some downlevel routes for running IE and OE as limited users without the need for passwording anything. It also hardens the local computer zone and quite a few other security tweaks - at the click of a mouse.

Try it and if you don't like it - try something else!
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

Many thanks gang for all your helpful suggestions.

I'll persevere with using Limited accounts, and have a look at Secure-IT and Kane's vbs.

Happy new year folks.

Kane,
    Last time I tried to do this I wrote a batch file to execute the runas command with a text file containing the password piped to the stdin, it didn't work for some reason.

Is there a way to modify this script (VBS is new to me, batch files I know suck but are good enough to meet my normal needs) to accept a parameter?

For example if I type runadmin program name at the cmd prompt or in a short cut it'll run the program as Admin.

I've tried using %1 as a parameter to the runas command in your script as I would with a batch file but it didn't work.

Bronze Member
    You can run scripts from the command line using Cscript.exe. Launch CScript and use the name of the script file (and its path, if required) as a parameter.

cscript script.vbs

The windows script host displays the banner (you can hide the banner using //NOLOGO parameter) and then executes the script. You can find out the syntax by typing cscript at command line.

Launching a script file named, say, script.vbs, is equivalent to entering the following command in the Run dialog box

wscript script.vbs

The WScript host also defines several parameters that you can use to control how the script executes.