Thread: VHS era is winding down

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar

VHS era is winding down

Pop culture is finally hitting the eject button on the VHS tape, the once-ubiquitous home-video format that will finish this month as a creaky ghost of Christmas past.

After three decades of steady if unspectacular service, the spinning wheels of the home-entertainment stalwart are slowing to a h...

More...

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    I still use a VHS machine. There's only one remaining store that sells blank tapes.

Quote Originally Posted by Conan View Post
    I still use a VHS machine. There's only one remaining store that sells blank tapes.
    I still use VHS too, I have a dvd recorder but it's sat in a cupboard upstairs

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Marge View Post
    I still use VHS too, I have a dvd recorder but it's sat in a cupboard upstairs
    DVD recorders here are pretty expensive so I'm not yet about to buy. How come you're not using yours?

I still use my trusty VHS to this day for both recording and watching as i still have quite the collection of VHS movies.Even if its no longer produced i will easily say i will continue to use it as long as humanly possible even though i have DVR and a DVD recorder and laptop with DVR/DVD burning capability.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    LOL, I'm only just starting to convert my Vinyl LPs to digital... it'll take another 10years to encode the family VHS videos to DVD!! Plus I love carrying the awesome SONY shoulder mounted Full-size VHS Cam-recorder on day trips - it beats every with Camera Envy with their massive black telephoto lens

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

DVD recorders here are pretty expensive so I'm not yet about to buy. How come you're not using yours?
    Cause I was recording a lot of tv programmes using dvd rw's which I erase after watching then re-record on. After so many uses the damn things wouldn't play and it was costing me a small fortune buying new discs, I gave up in the end and bought a VHS video recorder for about £40. Some of the tapes I'm using I've had for years and they still work okay, I came across one the other day actually from about 9 year ago containing a wrestling match I recorded when my son was into WWF (thank god he grew out of that)

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Marge View Post
    Cause I was recording a lot of tv programmes using dvd rw's which I erase after watching then re-record on. After so many uses the damn things wouldn't play and it was costing me a small fortune buying new discs, I gave up in the end and bought a VHS video recorder for about £40. Some of the tapes I'm using I've had for years and they still work okay, I came across one the other day actually from about 9 year ago containing a wrestling match I recorded when my son was into WWF (thank god he grew out of that)
    Aren't there some recorders that also have a hard drive aside from the DVD recording?

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    With all this DVD/HD recording, I thought that TV's and DVD players were able to detect if they were connected so you couldn't record shows (perhaps unless it was on free-to-air content)... What are people mostly recording? Is it considered the same if you simply download the episode online? What are your thoughts?

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Aren't there some recorders that also have a hard drive aside from the DVD recording?
    Yeah I'm waiting for the price of the hard drive recorders coming down before I buy one, the DVD recorder was a Christmas gift from my parents about 3 years ago
    Personally I record things like ER, CSI, NCIS, Law and Order each week then sit watch them the following evening, I don't have the patience to sit through all the ad breaks which drive me bonkers.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Try a DVR EM...it's the future

Quote Originally Posted by rik View Post
    Try a DVR EM...it's the future
    Never heard of those, I have a look. The way telly is going there'll be nothing on worth watching or recording so we won't need these things in the future. Stupid reality tv programmes for the brain dead are taking over the airwaves