Thread: wireless problem with vista

wireless problem with vista

hello to you all,

at present i am having a strange problem with vistas wireless capabilities. I have a user that i have connected to our network on wep 128 bit encryption and she connects every time while at work but when she is on the move and trying to use a hotspot cafe etc it will connect to the network but give no internet access as she only recieves the 169.xxx.xxx.xxx address.

It rather fraustrating. i usually use intels wireless software as i find it much better than XP wireless manager but i cant seem to find the program for vista.

Does anyone have any ideas??

She who must be obeyed Super Moderator piaqt's Avatar
    I assume she has a laptop. Go to the manufacturer's website and search for drivers/software for that particular model and O/S.

Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.
    love, piaqt

Cool. will give it as go. but its only 3 weeks old so i would of hoped dell would be able to load there own drivers but they have been pretty rubbish in the past.

Check the dell drivers disk that came with the laptop.

Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.
    love, piaqt

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    They also install an app that checks the factory installed drivers. Try it and see if it finds anything amiss.

It's called "Dell Driver reset Tool".

It seems that i have managed to get the laptop to connect to other networks now but it drops connection after about half an hour and then does not seem to be able to find any after the connection has gone. Would this still be a driver problem????

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    I think it sounds like a wireless management issue... What version of Vista is the laptop running?

THere should be a network configuration tool. ensure all the different wireless profiles are correct.

i.e. you will need 1 profile for each network with thier specific settings... in terms of WEP security Keys, static/dynamic IP etc etc

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Ultimate, and oy vey.

love, piaqt

Quote Originally Posted by piaqt View Post
    Ultimate, and oy vey.
    Where did he say its running 'Ultimate' ? not sure what oy vey means, sorry.

When i said Wireless management issue, i think the drivers are ok, but windows management to control which networks and their settings might need to configured correctly.

UPDATE: Found this link to configure Vista wireless http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...uy/cg0406.mspx

Check it out, see if it matches your system.
    Last edited by cash_site; May 3rd, 2007 at 01:56 AM. Reason: New LINK

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Cheers for all your help but i am afraid none of this applies anymore. The laptop was stolen out of a the girls car boot lasst week along with various other stuff including a GPS. so i cant really tell you much more about the system

What goes around comes around. Now the theives can have the headache, so I hope that thing was buggy as hell.

love, piaqt

Karma... i just hope the thief posts the questions in a new thread ! LOL...

BUT.. we're are sorry to hear about your loss

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---