Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: XP Help Needed

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jay529
    Booger Me and my dad built this comp like 3 years ago (So home built) But I am thinking maybe it is the BIOS? My BIOS is "Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG" any info on how to update it so I can install XP.
    Fiind out the make/model of your Motherboard, then go the manufacturer's web site to look for BIOS updates.

Wink Perhaps a solution to ur problem

I've been using windows xp for about a year(since the time i bought my new pc) and i got something like the problem you have some days ago. after the xp boot screen windows would not load. i formatted but it did not resolve the problem.
    I would consider that you have a problem with your boot partition. Boot your pc in DOS from a startup disk or your bootable me installlation cd. then run fdisk and erase your primary boot partition. Reboot and run fdisk again. Create a new primary partition. Set it as active partition and exit fdisk. format this new partition (Should be the same drive letter it was initially) and run windows setup again.
    If you run xp setup i recommend you convert your created fat32 drive(above) to ntfs.

Jay529, after evil_fantast's post you may well have fixed the problem, however, this is a fairly simple thing to sort. Usually the problem that you have lies with the CD that you are trying to use, if it is getting all the way to the last stage as you say then there's a problem where the files are now not quite making it to the HDD thus causing it to not respond / crash.
    So boiling it down to the greatest affectors, which are the CD or the HDD. You say you've tried cleaning the CDROM's laser & maybe even the CD, although if there are any scratches and the CDROM being at all old, it may never get over the scratch. On the other have it could always be the HDD which has the problem, there could always be a damaged sector somewhere which the XP installation wants to overwrite but can't and once again causing it to crash.
    However not to completely rule out any other hardware that could be causing a conflict at the point where the installation gets to. So try to make a note of the last or next thing the OS wants to detect and check it out.

Now, there is one problem i've just thought of with evil_fantast's suggestion, which is that the computer would have to make it past any boot sector problems to get to where your problem is. As I don't know if it's worked or not I shall keep my suggestion down to the minimun, which is!... Try and get hold of another CD with XP + SP1, if poss ;-P

I have actually come across this problem myself before however I can't remember what I did but it wasn't a problem for very long, infact all I probably did was restart the computer, but then I try to make a point about keeping my machine as clean as possible.

Coffee.
    Live long and prosper!

OK I would like to try the FDISK thing. Is there instructions on how to do what you said evil_fantast?

Boot your pc in DOS from a startup disk or your bootable me installlation cd. then run fdisk and erase your primary boot partition. Reboot and run fdisk again. Create a new primary partition. Set it as active partition and exit fdisk. format this new partition (Should be the same drive letter it was initially) and run windows setup again.

Conan I went to the manufacturer's website looking for a bios update and they were absolutely no help. I couldnt even find my motherboard on the site..

Manufacturer's: www.spacewalker.com
    MotherBoard: AI61 / AMD K7 Processor / Based AGP Main Board

Conan I went to the manufacturer's website looking for a bios update and they were absolutely no help. I couldnt even find my motherboard on the site..

Manufacturer's: www.spacewalker.com
    MotherBoard: AI61 / AMD K7 Processor / Based AGP Main Board
    I found something here:

http://www.bios-drivers.com/drivers/78/78070.htm

Be careful though, as flashing your BIOS could result in a dead motherboard.

Conan do I want to try somthing that might kill my motherboard?

(I still wanna know how to do what was said about the Fdisk thing)

Conan do I want to try somthing that might kill my motherboard?

(I still wanna know how to do what was said about the Fdisk thing)
    Well flashing your BIOS is really a risk but then if successful, it could solve the problems you are having. It's best to do the BIOS flashing while your board is still under warranty. I had an MSI board die during a BIOS flash a couple of months ago, RMA'd it and they gave me a new motherboard.

Buy a new Windows XP CD from another shop, and install it from the new CD.