Thread: Migration from Windows NT domain to a Windows 2003 domain

Migration from Windows NT domain to a Windows 2003 domain

Hi!

I will migrate from an existing windows nt domain to a windows 2003 domain.

the current windows nt domain:

1 windows nt server (main domain controller )
    4 divisions with a 10 windows 2000 workstation

I think I can handel it so:

add a windows 2003 server to the existing domain and make it as a backup domain controller.
    after this take the main windows nt server offline and upgrade the windows 2003 BDC to the primary domain controller.

But I have read this is impossible.

;(

can someone tell me the best workaraund for this huge migration to win 2003 ?

(the best for me is when not all devisions are upgraded / migrated at the same time to the win 2003 domain. at best when it happens step by step.
    at first 1 devision and so on).

Kind Regards,

gicio

Nobody knows I'm a dog. TZ Veteran petard's Avatar
    One simple way:

Create a 2-way trust between the 2003 Active Directory (AD) Server and the NT domain.

Migrate the users and their machines into the AD domain.

Migrate the NT domain servers last.

There are several tools out there that can make this a not-so-painful task. Microsoft has a free tool that actually works.

Many thanks to egghead for the cool .sig

thx!

and this is the only solution?

gicio

Nobody knows I'm a dog. TZ Veteran petard's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by gicio
    thx!

and this is the only solution?

gicio
    Nope, there are many ways. Search the Microsoft Web Site for various strategies. Also search the Internet for other suggestions as well.

Many thanks to egghead for the cool .sig

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    well, I am a bit late
    but I have info about this. This is what we did at my work (about 100 users, plus 2 doamins)
    Installl NT server in 2 computers. Set them up as Backup Domain controllers. Make sure the BDC replicated. Take one offline for rollback pourpouse (if needed). The other you will do an upgrade from NT to 2003. So, now you have one computer running as 2003 BDC, raise the level to primary.
    Install your new box with 2003. Sinchronize it. Take offline the other NT DC (The original). Now, there should be no BT4 server Domain controllers (if there is more than one put them offline) Check everything is working. From now on, there is no tunring back...delete the entries for the NT boxes in the domain controller list. Before doing this is recomendable to have a 2003 backup Domanin Controller. The box you upgraded is fine, but I feel more confortable with a clean copy. If needed format one of the old NT DC and install 2003 into it, thought, for the money of the licence, you probably get a more powerfull box by buying a cheap server (with SATA RAID 0) and 2003 already installed into it.
    Once all NT list have been erased, format the old NT DC (You don't want to turn them on by accident)
    Done.
    You need 2 2003 servers runnign as AD for run in native mode