Thread: Why is Windows adding files on startup?

Why is Windows adding files on startup?

Dont know if im posting in the right place.. but i got XP and everytime i startup my computer, my total file count increases by about 8 files. I cant find these new files. Ive unhidden all folders.. and totalled all the files on my C drive... there is 53410 files. When i go into defrag and analyse... it shows 56714 files.. and a MFT record count of 60271. If i reboot and analyse again.. there is an additional 8 files... every reboot increases the file count. Is this an XP thing? Why is my computer creating new files that i dont know about and cant find?

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Have you tried deleting all the contents of your TEMP folders? I would also run a Spyware and Anti-virus scan just to be safe.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    event logs, temp files, all can cause this. But if you don't mind me asking...why are you counting files?

Just guessing but I think System Restore does this.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chicagoSun
    Just guessing but I think System Restore does this.
    I think you're right!

Might want to turn off Hybernate too as that's nothing but a pain in the arse.

Oops keep restore on as it's done nothing but save my but time and time again.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar

Oops keep restore on as it's done nothing but save my but time and time again.
    Amen to that Brother...

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

I only counted files coz i noticed that it was adding 8 files on reboot... it now shows 3312 too many files... which if divided by 8 = 414 boots... it looks like its been doing this since the computer was new.
    Its a HP.. but ive removed all the HP crap that comes with it.... i got startup manager, spybot, antivirus & firewall. Nothing bad is running in the system.
    Got nothing to do with temp files.... coz the temp file number doesnt change. None of the folder contents change... its not system restore either... ive disabled it.. and the count keeps growing..... is like a phantom in the system.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Got to disagree with you there...I love Hibernate

Well, the system creates many files for itself. Here are the ones I know.

If you use programs the systems creates prefetch files. You can empty it once in a while to clear it. Found in C:/WINDOWS/Prefetch I am assuming that your drive with the OS is C:/

Oh yeah, restore, it doesn't really create files unless its a system checkpoint. You will see an increase of disk usage. If you want, you can clear all but the most recent checkpoint through diskcleanup. Note: This is not recommemded as they all say, does nothing but saves our arses from reformatts.

Internet, explorer d/l's the webpages and saves it to disk but if its like only 8 files added then its not the cause. This would be adding hundereds of files but its still good to clear it anyhow.

I think the cause is the system log. Ok, everytime you do something on your computer, the system logs it to a file. Even boots are logged as successful or unsuccessful or maybe the system crashed etc... ALL are logged. You can clear it through clicking start----control panel----performace and maintainence----Admisnistrative tools----Event viewer. You can clear the logs through here. Right click on any of the three and click clear all events. It'll ask to save to a file you can click no but if you're having problems with XP and would like to spam MS with error reports or want to troubleshoot yourself, then save it. But its registry gibberish so I usually don't bother.

There is also another temp folder in your user account folder other than the one in the windows folder. Go to C:/Documents and settings/<your user name>/Local Settings/Temp
    Local Settings folder is a hidden folder so unhide all files first.

If not it could be one of your apps, usually appearing on the taskbar. Could be your Antivirus's log files. Depends on what you have.
    Last edited by joshsiao; June 3rd, 2004 at 13:39 PM.
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

Thanks joshsiao, Ive cleared the system log but it wasnt the culprit. I clear all my internet activity after every session using Tracks Eraser... so the computer is clean all the time. The count is still growing... i dont think its a major problem... but it does create 8 new files everytime... and it uses an additional 139,264 bytes.
    I dont have a lot running on start up.... only desktop, firewall, anitvirus, HotKeysCmds & hpsysdrv.
    The strange thing is that these 8 new files dont increase the file count on any of the folders off the C drive. Is like they not there except that they showing on the file count for the defrag analyser.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Have you tried using Search on the start menu?

You can search a specific date,which will then show you what files were created on that date.

You say you have "unhidden" all folders,but have you also unchecked "Hide protected operating system files" ?

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========