Thread: Help! Xp not loading

Angry Help! Xp not loading

Hi

I have a problem even getting into my main computer.

I recently downloaded Adaware to rid myself of a lot of the popup ads and registry keys -all worked fine. I have Norton AntiVirus which updates every couple of days or so.

However went to start up my computer and it did the usual, but then briefly showed my wallpaper before going to the Log-In page - which I NEVER ever use. It had my name there telling my i had 3 email (hotmail) messages waiting but when i clicked to enter, it just said 'saving settings', then 'logging out' as though it was on a loop and put me back where I started - i.e. can't get in. My safe mode doesn't seem to work either as it takes me to a similar log-in screen with teh admin option as well.

What can I do short of reinstalling XP? I have heard of backdoor viruses incl. one that runs off MSN Messenger (hence the hotmail info??-its not my standard email account) and I occasionally use Messenger.

Any ideas???

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    have you tried logging into the admin acct in safe mode...if you can I would to a system restore to a date it worked last.

It gives me that option in safe mode but i doesnt accept any particular passwords, nor a blank one. I don't think one was ever set up, but nonetheless i can't seem to get in via that.

I can't seem to get in via safe-command prompt either. can u get the command prompt up before it even goes to safe mode?

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    you might need to bite the bullet on this one and try a xp repair. Boot up with your xp cd and proceed like you're gonna reinstall then you will see an option for a repair vs a fresh install.

Unhappy

No joy I'm afraid. I created a floppy boot disk and used the XP cd but it doesn't seem to want to recognise the CD/A: before it gets to the login screen.

What do i do now??

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    You will have to set the floppy drive as the first boot device in your bios.

Have changed it in my setup upon initial boot to - recognise floppy for booting' but no joy again......

this is killing me!

Your last post leaves a question. There is a difference in how some bios entries are stated. Some have a "floppy seek" as well as 1st, 2nd, 3rd boot device settings. The "floppy seek" is often turned off to obtain a faster Win boot. It is the 1st boot device that must be set to floppy to allow booting from the floppy.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Finally got it to recognize my floppy boot disks by resetting my BIOS to defaults then just changing the floppy seek (it may have reactivated the self-test).

When booting XP from the 6 disks it goes through the whole process but then when I choose to reinstall it doesn't find my hard drive and says it can't continue and must now reboot.

This is obviously all related to Bjorne's post and then Sanne's as we all seem to have had the same error thanks to AdAware.

Just going to check their site for help as suggested by someone; will let you know any outcome. Otherwise -any more help from anyone??

It won't access my CDROM, not does it seem to recognise my hard drive, though i have now got it seeking the floppy successfully.

Cheers