Thread: hard drive won't show in my computer

hard drive won't show in my computer

I had to reinstall Win2k, I have a 20 G primary and 120 G slave. The primary shows and opens just fime. The slave whows up thru " add remove" but not in "My Computer" It has data on it so I can not reformat it, the file type shows as Unknown.
    It was previously installed on this same computer with Win 2K os. I know that the drive is working properly but I can not access the data on it.

What do I do now?
    Thanks,

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    when you reinstalled W2k did you format it in FAT32 ? and maybe the slave drive is NTFS ? you can't access NTFS with FAT32.

No, the master is in NTFS. Any other ideas?

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    nothing other than make sure the IDE cable is fine & plugged in right.

I don't know anything about W2k to be able to give advice on what to try, sorry I see some 2k experts logged in so maybe they will be by to help.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    if the slave was set to ntfs did you have file encryption on it because you would have lost ownership to it when you reinstalled. does it show up in the admin computer management?
    Last edited by phishhead; June 10th, 2004 at 04:10 AM.

I don't believe I had file encryption on before I reinstalled. Yes it does show up in admin computer management. I am able to change the drive letter but can not access the data that is on it. It lists the file system as "unknown"

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    have you tried to fdisk the mbr? you can boot from startup floppy disks or CD-ROM, choose repair option during setup, and run Recovery Console. When you are logged on, you can run FIXMBR command to fix MBR.

thanks, I will try that. I am getting to the point that I think I may just have to take it in to the local computer store and have the files just removed from it and start all over.