Thread: Exchange 2K3 on W2K3

Exchange 2K3 on W2K3

Hi all,
    having just set up a new Dell 2600 with Exchange 2K3 on W2K3 it works fine except 2 errors in the event log (source being MsexchangeMU):
    Metabase failed to read the config namespace property from the domain
    controller error code 80040a01.

followed by:
    Metabase update failed to properly initalize its context. It will retry initilization every 60 sec until succeds or shutdown is requested.

All I can find on Microsofts site is article 327844 but the error message is different on that

Help Anyone?
    Many thanks Graeme

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    - Error code: 80040a01 - As per Microsoft: "This issue may occur if the Exchange server is not listed as a member of the Exchange Domain Servers group". See Q327844 for information on how to add the Exchange server to the Exchange Domain Servers group. Also check Q312859 and Q314294 to see other situations in witch this event can occur.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;327844

If the above didn't work, then try the solutions below.

And another Exchange 2000 fix for this error:
    http://www.kbalertz.com/Feedback_312859.aspx

And yet another possible fix:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=314294

If after you already checked that error and it doesn't apply, see the link below:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=314294

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: MSExchangeMU
    Event Category: (1)
    Event ID: 1002
    Date: 1/1/2002
    Time: 12:00:00 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: EXCHANGE1
    Description: Metabase Update agent failed to start. Error code is 80040a01.

It has to do with Exchange 2000, but I'd assume that the error is similar, so should the fix be similar.

Thanx BB,
    you must get fed up of pointing people to M.S docs but I did look & all I came up with was Q327844. Anyhow this happened at least a dozen times since I loaded Exchange but do you know what it seems to have sorted itself out, maybe I inadvertently did something while I was setting it up!
    A few more things if thats Ok, the reason I noticed this error is that when I boot up it says a driver or service failed to start & I thought this was it, but it can't be this now, there are no other errors in the event log to tell me what this might be any ideas?
    Finally your posting about getting w2k3 to shut down quicker didn't need it till I loaded Ex2k3 then shut down becomes real slow (Q555025) just reduced waittokillservicetimeout didn't need to do the rest -although not supported by Microsoft thought you would give a more practical view on things- worked a treat shutdown in a few mins plenty quick enough for my ups. The only thing is when I shut down the event logs errors about servers / D.C's not responding etc is this a normal part of the shut down process?
    Thanx G

I think it is nothing that will cause issues. No need to worry. Strange that this problem worked itself out. Can't beat that.

BB,
    Sorry to go on, but are you saying I don't need to worry about the fact that when W2K3 boots up it says services or drivers haven't started, that was my only concern now, the other points were just out of interest in passing
    Regards G

The only thing is when I shut down the event logs errors about servers / D.C's not responding
    That I wouldn't worry about. As for the services or drivers that haven't started it all depends on the actual services or drivers.. What are they?

Thats exactly what i'm getting at BB the event log shows no errors telling me which drivers or services haven't started, so without knowing whats at fault I don't know how to remedy it
    G
    Last edited by GraemeK; June 18th, 2004 at 12:35 PM.

mmm, does everything work? I mean you perceive no noticeable changes? No random program errors?

If it appears to be working it could be a fluke. It should show the particulars if there is a major problem.

If hardware manager doesn't show any red x's or yellow ! marks you should be fine with the drivers.

As for the services, fire up admin tool, and look in the services area to see if anything pops out at you as disabled..

Thanx BB,
    There are no problems in the hardware manager, I always check them whenever I load an OS (but I did just double check)! now there are quite a few services that are disabled, none of which appear to be that critical, is it worth sending you a copy of the text file? Having said that there do not appear to be any problems at all (touch wood)
    Regards Graeme

Many of the services are off by default. I wouldn't worry. Now if the system starts acting strange, or doing anything out of the ordinary, I'd be more inclined to check them one by one.

If it appears to be functioning properly, and you are getting error logs, that seemingly are not causing issues, I wouldn't worry. If all the hardware is working, the OS boots, and it seems to work fine, it probably is.

Thanx for all your help BB,
    As everthing is working fine I will just ignore the message!
    Graeme

Mmh BB,
    I think I might have found it backup exec 9.1 has failed to start the past few days I didn't know beacause I have it set to cancel after 9 hrs so it just spits out the dat. The job Engine is set to automatic but on a reboot it may not be starting I am going to have to check. If this is the case any ideas other than uninstalling & re-installing, I have loaded the latest service pack!

Nope,
    it aint that it started on a reboot, oh well everthing seems to be working ok so will just live with it
    G

Ifin' it ain't broke, don't go a fixin'

Hang around GraemeK, TZ's a fun place to help and get helped and just well shoot the bull.

Will do thanx again BB