Thread: XP Error - Wrong CD inserted ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

XP Error - Wrong CD inserted ?

Hi There

Suddenly I get the following Message, when the XP CD is required, for a Repair etc.
    " You have inserted the wrong CD ( i.e. a different windows product Cd than the version installed ). Please insert The Windows XP Professionel Service Pack 1 CD ".

This is strange because it's the CD I used when I installed XP, its XP Pro Corp. with SP1 integrated. Anyone know of a fix to the problem, seems like an error in the registry.

Take Care Wolfie

Hi there.

Just to let you know ( maybe somebody, get the same error and can use the Info ) that I found the course of the error.

I spend 4 - 5 hours today trying to find a website mentioning that problem and finally I succeded when finding the following .........

" The error occur if the file " win51ip.sr1 " ( it's in the XP Sp1 .exe file) is missing from the Root of the Slipstreamed CD, the file prevent the installation from asking for "The Windows XP Professionel Service Pack 1 CD ".

To check if that was the case, I copied the XP CD to a folder on my HD - unpacked the SP1 file and copied the win51ip.sr1 file to the Root of that folder, burned the CD and rebooted.

After rebooting I did a test to check if the Error occured. Inserted the CD in the drive and tried to Run " sfc/scannow " ( have failed before ) and Jubii no error message about a wrong CD.

Have a nice Day / Evening