Thread: More problems

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

More problems

Since getting this computer a few months ago, no problems. But the last couple of days have been a nightmare!

A message flashed up this morning saying I had the w32.spybot.worm so i did a scan with Norton and it deleted it.

I just came to connect again and some bizarre screen came up saying it was "installing components...MediaTicketsInstaller.cab"??????????????? When I clicked cancel it just kept on coming back up! Luckily Ive got rid of it for now but for how long?

I also ran Spybot and it found 19 things, but even after fixing them it happened again.

Please can someone help, and in pretty basic terms too as Im pretty much a novice when it comes to these kinds of problems!

Thanks a lot...Rich

My Name is.... TZ Veteran Stripe's Avatar
    hmmm....sounds like you still have spyware...

I would do the following:
    1-) Run all windows updates
    2-) install adaware and then update to the latest definations. Then scan. Once the scan is done, re-run it to make sure its clean.
    3-) run spybot search & destroy (another free spyware killer) and make sure that comes clean as well.
    4-) run a complete virus scan
    5-) run an app called BHO Daemon. This will clear any "hidden" browser hijacks that sometimes the spyware sweepers miss.
    6-) Open msconfig (by clicking on Start, then run, and then typing msconfig) and then click on the startup tab. Look and see if you see anything suspicious but be careful. Many of these entries are valid applications (like virus software).
    7-) invest in a firewall for added protection

Thanks for the quick reply!

Ive just installed Ad-Aware and I already had Spybot Search and Destroy. Ive done a complete virus scan and that's fine.

I have problems trying to get the Windows updates. When I click on 'scan for updates' it comes up with Cannot Validate The Product Key. What does that mean?

Finally, where can I install BHO Daemon?

Thanks again.

Oh and I just disconnected and then reconnected and the same problem happened, despite running Spybot and Ad-Aware beforehand.

Free Pest Patrol scan to detect and remove w32.spybot.worm.

http://www.pestpatrol.com/PestInfo/w...pybot_worm.asp
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

There is also a free AV scan at the Panda site. It had been a while since I used it, so decided to do so. Almost immediately detected 2 infected files.

Must use IE http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Thanks efc, I installed Zone Alarm and that seems to have done the trick!