Thread: Second account in OE6 in XP password problem

Second account in OE6 in XP password problem

Hi all
    I set up my e mail on XP with outlook express 6. When I went to set up my partners E mail following the wizard I get to the user name and password and when I ve typed in the password ( which I believe has to be the one you use to activate your IP)? the cursor just keeps going back to the beginning of the password entry in the password box. This is how I set it up in win 98 but of course there s only one log in to win 98 as opposed to 2 on XP. Am I doing this correctly Any ideas would be appreciated Many thanks Dave the rave.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    So let me get this straight, you are trying to setup 2 accounts in Outlook Express 6 using Windows XP?

The first account is setup correctly, but the second account is not?

Or are you trying to create 2 USER accounts in Windows XP so that you can use separate Outlook Express accounts for 2 different email systems?

Example 1:
    1 user account
    2 outlook express accounts
    2 user names and passwords

Example 2:
    2 user accounts
    1 outlook express account
    1 username and password for each user account

Which is it?

If it is the first, you'll need to use 2 different email accounts like hotmail and your ISP email.

Make sure the passwords are correct and that you have selected the type of email it is. For hotmail it's an HTTP type.

For others it is POP3. You get this option when you setup the new accounts.

Also sometimes the password requires SPA (Secure Password Authentication). If not, even when using the correct password. it will reject it at the username/password screen.

Hope that helps and welcome to techzonez.

If it is example 2 and you are having difficulty logging into one of the accounts, I'd say log into the account that you can log into. Go into the control panel, user accounts, and delete the account with the password issue.

Then create a new XP user account for your partner. Make sure you create a password for it, and write it down. Then log out of the current user account and you should see 2 accounts on the XP welcome screen.

Then log into the partner's user account, and go into Outlook Express and configure the email account as directed by the wizard.

Hi Booger
    What Im trying to do is set up an e mail account for myself which I have done successfully using my e mail addy and all the same details e.g. user name and IP password from my IP set up disk from when we were on win 98. I then have tried to set up my partners existing e mail account which I added as an additional account in OE 6 in win 98, and am now trying to set it up in win XP what Im struggling with is how to set it up so that I can go to my log in on xp and set up my e mail account which I have done successfully but then I d like to log on to my partners log in on XP and set up her original account which existed in win 98 on our old pc. How do I go about this as as soon as I put in the password from the ntl disk from our win 98 into the outlook express wizard to add her account the cursor keeps going to the start of the password box and then reports errors in password and user name. Is the password from our original ntl disk the password we re meant to be using and why won t it let me use it to set up her account? How do I achieve this? by the way when I set up ntl dial up on the new pc I used the manual connections wizard as opposed to using the ntl disk as I was unaware that I could use the disk for XP. Many thanks Dave the rave

Hi booger
    I just tried option 2 of your suggestions by deleting her account on XP log in and the re created another for her and the went through the OE 6 wizard for setting up an account. But to no avail exactly the same symptoms. What next? thanks for your time.

http://www.ntlworld.com/help/windowsxp/dialup.htm

Take a look at that page. Scroll down and tell me did you follow the procedure exactly as it says for setting up OE 6 with NTL email.

I am not sure why you need the NTL disk to setup email in Outlook Express 6?? That is the part that is confusing me. I usually set it up manually adding the username password, pop3 and SMTP servers manually.

Hope that helps.

Hi booger
    No I set up the dial up to ntl manually and also my OE 6 account which works it s only when I have come to add my partner s account the password problem begins .I am now going to try setting up with my ntl disk and following the instructions on the link you provided which strangely I printed off last thing last night.Will I have to delete the other dial up as it will have a different dial up number ( strangely ntl seem to have many dial up numbers? why?!) and will be using same user name and password as one I have already set up.Will this cause a problem do you think?

Yes I think you need two different usernames and passwords. I'd contact NTL regarding this as I am not an NTL subscriber (I live in Japan).

As for multiple dialup access numbers, it's just a way to balance the load on one particular number. After 100,000 or so users, you need more than 1 number to keep the line from crashing. And I think after a certain number of connects through a particular number it becomes "full".

It's odd that your account works flawlessly and your partners doesn't. Have you verified the username and password with NTL to make sure the account is still available and active?

One other solution would be to dual boot windows 98 and windows XP. When you boot your PC, you'd have the option of using XP or 98. It's a convenient way to keep both OSes on the same machine. If you can't get anything to work, perhaps that solution might be a viable option for you.

Hi booger
    I think I will have to contact ntl at some ridiculous rate per minute. I don t know if I made it clear before butwe only have one disk and user name and password. On win 98 I added her to my e mail in OE 6 and it worked but now I ve just started with XP it won t allow us to set up an additional e mail account using the same user name and password with one ntl account. Also with two log ins on our pc with XP it confuses the matter further. No wonder there s a site called nthell or ntlhell can t remember which but seems suitable.Thanks for all your suggestions if you have any more then I d appreciate it booger.

hi booger
    about the dual boot how would I set that up on my system. I looked into that the other day at a well known PC store and the advisor told me that if I tried to load win 98 on my PC with XP it would mess the system up which I disagreed with her as I ve seen in the win 98 forum of annoyances.org many people do this but how would I do that thanks again.

Dave,
    Take a look here for the 98 install after XP.

http://www.petri.co.il/install_windo...windows_xp.htm

As for two accounts with the same username and password in XP, I just tested this with my hotmail account. I installed 2 identical Hotmail accounts in OE 6. I used the same password and username. Everything was the same.

I worked fine. One was named (hotmail) and the other was named (hotmail 1).

They worked flawlessly. So I am thinking it might be an NTL issue. Has your partner considered a different account with hotmail? It is simple to setup and get going with hotmail in outlook.

I know that doesn't solve your problem here. I am hoping someone can offer a more suitable response to that issue. I'll keep my eye out for any solutions that may help.