Thread: digital camera not recognised

digital camera not recognised

I recently installed an Olympus C-150/D-390 digital camera on my computer. Under Control panel the camera is not showing as a temporary drive. It is recognised under System USB controllers as working properly and under SCSI controllers (although here there is a yellow square and ! mark). When I try to download pictures from the camera it tell me that a camera cannot be detected.

My comuter was bought in may 2001 and has an Intel D815E Motherboard and runs on Windows 98 SE. I re3installed windows98 to try to fix the problem to no avail.
    can you help please
    Regards Roger

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Have you tried uninstalling the camera from the PC. Then turning on the camera, and rebooting the PC. Then wait to see if the camera is detected by the new hardware wizard? Then see if the PC recognizes the camera?

How are you connecting this camera? USB? Card reader? Serial? Parallel?

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Booger
    How are you connecting this camera? USB? Card reader? Serial? Parallel?
    Olympus cameras plug straight into USB. I think that you have to install the Olympus imaging program/drivers from the CD that came with the camera. Remember Windows 98 does not have native support for USB.

I have tried reinstalling the camera many times it loads the a recommended driver from windows not from the camedia disc supplied, saying that the windows one is better. When the camera is connected and I try to download images it says not recognised or I get a fatal error. I am connecting via a usb port and I have tried disconnecting my only other usb device(a scanner). I wonder if it is a problem with windows98 and usb capabilities. I cannot see any imaging drivers as such on the supplied disc only driver which says Windows 98 ME

Regrds Roger

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Can you force Windows to use the driver from the disc instead?

I have tried but it just keeps saying a better driver has been found in windows. It maybe that I shall have to update to XP. I have tried everything else

Regards Roger

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brownrb2448
    I have tried but it just keeps saying a better driver has been found in windows. It maybe that I shall have to update to XP. I have tried everything else

Regards Roger
    Can't remember if 98 is the same procedure as XP,but when you reinstall the drivers,you need to select "Install from a specific location" and browse to the driver disc. Don't select "Install the software automatically" otherwise Windows will keep telling you it has found a better driver.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Have you resolved this probelm

Hi,

Does anyone know how to resolve this problem as I am experiencing the same.

THanks

Have you got similar hardware robbo? i.e. Olympus + Win 98? Rev's suggestion should work, just force driver selection by clicking 'have disk' and if Win doesn't auto-find it you may have to point it to the CD drive ('G' or whatever) through 'search in' section.

Here we go. You both need a specific driver for Win98 as the camera is not supported in that OS. You'll find it at:

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...oduct=911&fl=7

Just download to a drive (remember where you put it) and at the 'have disk' prompt point Windows to the relevant area. Hope that sorts the problem
    Last edited by Conan; September 14th, 2004 at 10:28 AM. Reason: faulty URL link

Unhappy

Hi,

Thanks for helping with this, but I haven't got a clue! Can you believe I've been on the phone to Olympus for over an hour and they can't help!!

Ive downloaded this file but now I'm lost (only know pc basics I'm affraid)

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    robbo,
    Run the .exe file. Extract to a folder. Then run the install.exe file. It should automatically install the driver that you need.

Reboot if it doesn't ask you to. Then try it.