A friend of mine has a curious problem with a fairly new machine.

Using Internet Explorer he's unable to get at the web site www.collectorcartraderonline.com although they were once able to!

For about a week since the machine was set up (in early June) he could get on the site and since that time, it doesn't look as if anything particular has been loaded onto the machine. No new fixes or anything of that nature.

I've checked things like Java being installed and it looks OK. I've restored the system to earlier times (like when we believe it WAS able to connect to the site) but no joy.

I've looked through the various patches which have been applied but the only one which seemed connected in any way was Q831167 so I tried removing it but to no avail.

I've tried with different browsers (firefox and Netscape) and all produce the same result... it says it can't find the site.

It's not being misspelled. I tried getting at it via a link on another site (www.classiccarslasvegas.com) but still no joy.

I've looked through security and similar settings and have run out of ideas.

It's the only site that we can find that shows this problem and using http://www.dnsstuff.com/ I am able to ping it and traceroute it.

Has anybody got any ideas? Has anyone seen anything like this before? What is so special about this one site?

Oh yes, the environment is XPhome running IE6.