Thread: Set Up Remote Desktop Web Connection with Windows XP

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar

Set Up Remote Desktop Web Connection with Windows XP

well I've been on the search for a remote desktop app and found the remote desktop web connection built into xp. You connect via a webpage and it will automatically log off the host pc and allow a very quick connection over the web. I found the instructions here they are very straight forward and even goes thru setting up your router. I'm using my username.no-ip.org dns since I'm on dsl. you have the choice of choosing a port to go thru. The best part I like it locks the host pc. which using netmeeting my kids love to kick me off at home.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I think I am going to give that a try this week Phish. Great site with loads of detail on setting this up. YOu basically run a web server remote desktop service on the host machine. I hope this works.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    I've used it before, and I kind of got it working but....

I have been unable to connect to my machine via the web client if my port is not the stnadard 3389. If I leave the port as 3389...no problems but as soon as I change it, I cant connect.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Set your router to redirect the port 3389 to another Supa.

bb youre right you are basically setting up a webserver. and youre not stuck in 8bit 640x480 netmeeting land. You dont need to have the remote desktop service running either. Seems to be alot faster too. Rik thats what I did is just gave the IIS server the port that I want to connect too then forwarded that port thru the router to my workstation. As long as the client uses active x you can use the web connection. I just type in the browser http://phishtechzonez.no-ip.org:XXXXX/tsweb/ then it logs my pc out and goes to the log in screen. then on the host machine its black so now my kids can kick me off.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    I started trying to set this up over the weekend but haven't finished it yet...is the No-IP service free? I know several of you use it and I would like to get a little somethin going but am just to broke to pay for hosting and what not...

yup its free I use it since I'm on dsl my ip changes alot. I followed those directions and screen shots and had it up and running in about 20 mins. I was using my laptop dialed into my isp then trying to hit the site externally to test it. I've also tested it here at work without a problem. It will only work with IE since you have to download active x components on the client pc.

edit: dont forget to set your NO-IP.COM to a service so each time you reboot its running on boot up.