Thread: XP System Restore

Exclamation XP System Restore

Hi all,

Is there any way to access the "folders" were XP stores the backed up files for the system restore?? One of our machines here has a virus in a file that the VG software is picking up in the system volume information that cannot be accessed. It seems to be from a previous backed up copy used for system restore.. Can I access this file to check it myself and to remove it from the system?

TIA

Galchanto

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    I presume you mean you are getting an "access denied" message when trying to open the system volume information folder ??

Windows XP Professional or Windows XP Home Edition Using the FAT32 File System
    Click Start, and then click My Computer.
    On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
    On the View tab, click Show hidden files and folders.
    Clear the Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) check box. Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm the change.
    Click OK.
    Double-click the System Volume Information folder in the root folder to open it.

Windows XP Professional Using the NTFS File System on a Domain
    Clear the Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) check box. Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm the change.
    Click OK.
    Right-click the System Volume Information folder in the root folder, and then click Sharing and Security.
    Click the Security tab.
    Click Add, and then type the name of the user to whom you want to give access to the folder. Choose the account location if appropriate (either local or from the domain). Typically, this is the account with which you are logged on. Click OK, and then click OK.
    Double-click the System Volume Information folder in the root folder to open it.

Windows XP Professional using the NTFS File System on a Workgroup or Standalone Computer
    Clear the Use simple file sharing (Recommended) check box.
    Click OK.
    Right-click the System Volume Information folder in the root folder, and then click Properties.
    Click the Security tab.
    Click Add, and then type the name of the user to whom you want to give access to the folder. Typically, this is the account with which you are logged on. Click OK, and then click OK.

NOTE: The System Volume Information folder is now accessible in normal mode to users of Windows XP Home Edition.

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 309531

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

WOW! That's cool!
    I don't need to use the work-around I was, all along.

I used to boot into a bartPE environment (with a file-manager integrated), to clear out files from there.
    Cheers !!!