Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unable to Change Home Page (Home Search Assistant Problem)

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    here is the home search removal tool,
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4286.html

important steps to getting this tool to work properly:

1: Boot into safe mode by tapping the f8 key as your computer boots. You should do this before you see the Windows splash screen.

2: Also, make sure you can see hidden files; Open My Computer and choose Tools, then click on Folder Options, click on the View tab and under Advanced Setting, choose Show Hidden Files and Folders, then click on OK and close My Computer.

3: Right-click on My Computer, Choose Manage, Double-click on Services and Applications, Click on Services. In the righthand column find "Network Security Service", and double-click on it. (In Safe Mode this may already be stopped) Choose Stop and then write down the name and path of the file in the "Path to Executable" section. Set the Startup Type to Disabled. Click Ok. Close the Computer Management window

Limitations: When finished, you will get a web page saying it worked as your home page. This is normal. You will need to reset your home page manually via tools, internet options. We have run the tool, it is spyware free and appears to not cause any problems. That said, you should have your computer backed up when installing any third party applications.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Hey all,
    I have the Home Search Assistant problem myself, so i got Firefox, and all is well. Except that HSA seems to run deeper than Internet Explorer. I can't send any messages on AOL Instant Messenger without it crashing, and I found out that one of the main causes of that error is have HSA! I've downloaded AD-Aware SE, Spybot Search & Destroy, HijackThis, AboutBuster, and other spyware removal things and used them in succession without any change...Can anyone suggest another method?

Thanks,
    MrSilent

P.S. I curse the makers of HSA to hell to let them rot and burn in flames.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    I'd say if all you guy's can't get rid of this pest after all this info then it's time for a system restore or format clean OS. Sorry but that's a whole lot easier and faster than racking your head for days on end trying to fix.

This thing sounds real bad and worst than a virus.....

Quote Originally Posted by egghead
    here is the home search removal tool,
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4286.html/
    I said that in the 3rd post, but no one was paying me any attention