Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Computer restarts! Can't do anything! Help needed!

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lian
    I don't have style xp installed in my computer. I've never even heard of it before. I think my graphics card is called Xabre. I don't think that's causing the problem.
    By the way, zipp51, when you said i can try typing "sfc /scannow", is there a space between "sfc" and "/scannow"? When I get a XP CD, I'll try to fix my problem. And Thank you all for you help. I needed it.
    If you ever have to use this command,yes there is a space just as I have it there.Glad you sorted it out though.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Bad Master Boot Record (MBR). Now you have to determine what caused it and more importantly determine if it will happen again. When you originally installed XP did you do an upgrade or clean installation? A bad installation will corrupt the MBR. This happens when you are formatting the hard drive and you receive an error. It is even possible to have more than one MBR and when XP is loading it reads the wrong MBR. It is not rare to run XP for months and run into the corrupt MBR issue.

The short, but best fix is to always use the manufacturer's hard disk utility to configure a hard drive before installing XP.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Agreeing with all that went before...

For the future if you are really trying NOT to reinstall you can run fdisk /mbr from the command line in the recovery console.

I just fixed a Dell Inspiron with the same problem without reinstalling or losing any data.

I booted to the Dell CD (put CD in, power on and hold down f12 to get the option).

Went to the recovery console and ran chkdsk c: /r (this took about an hour on a 30gb disk).

Then I followed the directions from this site:
    http://digitalwebcast.com/2002/03_ma..._boot_toot.htm

One of my files had to have a .bak extension added to work but you can use cd and dir from the recovery console to verify the location and names of your files.

As always Your Mileage May Vary.

I would like to know if NTFS was being used by anyone who is having this problem.

Thanks and I hope it helps.

[email protected]

No blue in the correct addy.