Thread: XP SP2 RC2 Download Bug

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar

XP SP2 RC2 Download Bug

Whenever I download a Zip or Rar file, IE downloads and automatically opens the file without my intervention. I'm used to just downloading the file then opening it manually. Anyone have a clue to remedy this?

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    bug? I thought it was suppoused to do the inversed. When I was using it, it actually only had the option to save after you read the warning of posible virus, but the option to download was even greyed out. I had some problems with XP SP2 and I fixed some by resetting the security settings to a default level again (high) and then setting what I needed.
    Note that with SP2 I had the same result using Windows explorer, so I am not sure why it is opening directly for you

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan
    Whenever I download a Zip or Rar file, IE downloads and automatically opens the file without my intervention. I'm used to just downloading the file then opening it manually. Anyone have a clue to remedy this?
    Have you checked the file type settings for Zip/Rar files?

Open Windows Explorer. Tools > Folder Options.
    On the File Types tab highlight the relevant extension and hit the advanced button.Put a check in "Confirm open after download" and hit OK.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend
    Have you checked the file type settings for Zip/Rar files?

Open Windows Explorer. Tools > Folder Options.
    On the File Types tab highlight the relevant extension and hit the advanced button.Put a check in "Confirm open after download" and hit OK.
    Yes there was a check in "Confirm open after download". This also happens with downloadable .REG files. It opens automatically.