Thread: how do i reset my hardware config?

how do i reset my hardware config?

im having some strange problems with my pc, and i need to reset my hardware settings.
    the problem is in the registry somehow, I pretty much have already uninstalled/reinstalled all the drivers, but there is some stupid stuff that wont uninstall from the registry, the system is somehow linking an old driver to the new one or something, and heres what the overall effect has with any dx8-9 game: The procedure entry point DdEntry1 could not be located in the dynamic link library GDI32.dll.
    in dxdiag under display it says: Hardware accelerated Direct3D 9+ is not available because the display driver does not support it. You may be able to get a newer driver from the hardware manufacturer.
    what i REALLY NEED to do is somehow wipe out ALL of the driver settings completely.
    my system is win2k my video card is a 9800 pro.
    im using the latest drivers.
    the problem started when i installed a new nforce2 mobo.
    i think the VIA drivers/settings from my last board may be causing the conflict, or at least part of it.

ive already done a upgrade reinstall of win2k sp4, i have all the patches installed from windows update, and i have copies of the patches so i dont have to redownload them every time i need to reinstall them. this includes dx9.
    ive also used driver cleaner and some registry cleaner tools, as well as spybot and adaware and scanned my system for viruses just in case.
    the driver i prefer to use for my 9800 is rad_w2kxp_omega_2551.exe, but ive also tried the regular ati one as well.
    i can play opengl games fine, but any dx8-9 game doesnt work.

ive done all this last week, and i still cant get my system to work correctly, so i really need something to wipe out all the driver settings completely.

To reset CMOS.

Check the mobo book or visit the mobo manufacturer webpage to find information about the board. Most have a jumper pin that clears the CMOS.
    Unplug the power. Change pin setting to clear CMOS. Plug back in and turn the power on momentarily. Unplug power and set jumper back to original setting. It's done. This will not change settings made by software drivers.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

i dont mean cmos, i mean the windows driver registry settings.
    the registry is messed up and i need to reset the driver registry information.
    ive used driver cleaner and other tools, nothing is fixing the error.
    so i need to delete all the driver settings somehow.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Try this.
    Download the attached file and unzip it.Rename the extracted file d3d8thk.w2k to d3d8thk.dll ,and copy it to your system32 directory.Then reboot.
    Last edited by Reverend; July 21st, 2004 at 21:13 PM.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

is that a virus?
    what does it really do?
    just asking before i install any strange programs on my disk.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by l33t-g4m3r
    is that a virus?
    what does it really do?
    just asking before i install any strange programs on my disk.
    While I don't know what the file exactly does, I doubt the owner of this forum would instruct you to install a virus.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    d3d8thk.w2k is the file to manually replace the d3d8thk.dll in the WINNT/System32/ directory. which is created while the installation form DirectX 9.0b.

It's like a manual way to reinstall DX9, I believe. But perhaps Reverendo can put some more explanation to it.

My understanding of it is that it fixes the original bug of the Direct X 9b install which originally installs a wrong file into your system.
    Thats is the is cause of the dynamic link library error on your system, this should correct the driver load errors
    R.I.P
    MSN Status: | Please Read The Forum Rules

Alas! you have solved my DX9 problems as well. Many thanks Omnipotent One!!!

For myself, i would like to say: A million thanks to Reverend for that solution that solved my problem that i had for more than 24 hours and had making me go nuts ! So simple when you know it !