Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Realllly SLLOOW Logon! HELP!

Exclamation Realllly SLLOOW Logon! HELP!

Hey.

I have just started using Windows Server 2003 and set up roaming profiles by sharing a folder "profiles" on my server and then creating the user account in Active Directory. I then typed the path of the folder (\\server\profiles\My Name\) into the User's properties and that's it.

When I log on with that username and password on a client machine on Windows XP Professional, the logon box says "loading your personal settings" and then "applying your personal settings" after on average 7 MINUTES the profiles logs on fine. Log off is fine.

Can anyone help in and tell me why it's taking this long to log on!?
    Thanks in advance
    Tom

Hardware Guru TZ Veteran shadow_warez's Avatar
    what kind of connection and how far is the actual server from the client machines? plus have you tweaked tweaked the reserved bandwith, and setup the startup programs, so that only the services you need are running i know when i ran my server of 2k3sp1 i needed to clean some clutter,

A Great Sig Done by a Great Artist,

possible fix

I recently installed small business server 2003 on a clients' machine. I had the same problem as you. I realized that there was a box on the desktop that says "continue instillation of small business server." By that time I had created user manually so I descided to reinstall the entire OS. After I continued instillation, a web based page appeared (offline) that allowed me to do everything automatically and from then on my user logons have been short. So see if there is a continue installation box on your desktop.
    Last edited by beelzebub; August 4th, 2004 at 05:30 AM.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Slow logon problems are often related to DNS. Try adding the IP address of your Domain Controller to your workstation's list of DNS servers (assuming that the server is both a Domain Controller and DNS Server).

I would also have to say I used to have a problem when loading AD where it would take aaages to load, in the end it was a DNS problem pluss LDAP but then it was always down to missconfigured DNS in the end. So long as all IP's are registered in the DNS and both forward & reverse zones are all there then all should be fine, test using NSLOOKUP, if there's an error for the root server then it's missconfigured.

Or could always be something else.
    Live long and prosper!

Coffee AFAIK you don't even need the reverse lookup, but thanks for the support all the same

Quote Originally Posted by SupaStar
    Coffee AFAIK you don't even need the reverse lookup, but thanks for the support all the same
    Are you sure? In order to do any NSLOOKUP queries at all you need a reverse zone with a pointer to the NS. Can't think off the top of my head what else but i've always felt it a nessesity when getting things to work efficiently, but then again i'm pretty new to AD.
    Live long and prosper!

Same here, however my AD logins are really quick since I added my DNS sever IP to my Windows XP machine.

Yup, it was DNS. Because my router was intefering with it, I needed to get the server to forward DNS things (yes, you can see how technicial i am) to the router is the server couldn't deal with it.

Thanks Guys!

Tom

Hey no problem. It's always good when you get a tricky problem like that sorted.

Slloow Logon Help

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee
    Are you sure? In order to do any NSLOOKUP queries at all you need a reverse zone with a pointer to the NS. Can't think off the top of my head what else but i've always felt it a nessesity when getting things to work efficiently, but then again i'm pretty new to AD.
    As far as I understand it Active Directory and NSLOOKUP will work without a Reverse LUZ.

Quote Originally Posted by wills3
    As far as I understand it Active Directory and NSLOOKUP will work without a Reverse LUZ.
    Cool, thanks for the confirmation.

Hey guys.

I had the same problem and adding the IP of the Server (DNS) helped . Now the machine boots up with no hickups.
    However, what if it was a laptop thats hooked up to the domain? I mean if a person tries connecting elsewhere(hotel, airport,coffee shop), he'd have to remove that DNS entry because domain is no longer there to forward queries. Is there a work around for that kind of situation possibly ?

Cheers

That's where DHCP helps as you can have the DHCP server forward the correct DNS server address.

So, you are saying to have my server run DHCP server? Thatll work.

I currently use router as DHCP server. Id have to restructure quite afew things to have that achieved which is ok if thats whats going to work the best. (little alteration to workstations as possible). But...still...is there maybe some dirty trick around that ? heh. curious.