Thread: usb PROBLEMS

usb PROBLEMS

my usb devices are not working and i dont really know why.
    i have 2 gamepads that are different brands and if i plug in either it does nothing.
    nothing happens unless i unplug them, then it "finds the hardware" and says an error occurred during the installation of the device.
    the installation failed because a function driver was not specified for this device instance.
    -just recently its been finding the hardware while its plugged in. but still does not work.

i dont know if that means i dont have the driver installed, but if thats what it means i do have the mobo, usb, and logitech drivers installed.
    also, i noticed on the cd driver (nforce2) there is a usb2 driver, however there already is one installed that is a newer version.
    file version on cd is 5.0.2195.5605, version i have installed now is 5.0.2195.6717.
    correct me if im wrong, but doesnt win2k sp4 come with usb2 drivers? so what are the usb2 drivers on the cd for?
    and i do have the latest nforce drivers installed for my mobo btw. and all the updates off windows update.

the strangest thing is that my mouse is usb, and its working.
    however a while back i got really bad lag in ut2k4 when using the menus with it.
    but it hasnt occured since i realized the mouse driver wasnt installed, and installed it. still.... very strange
    could this be a defective motherboard? how can i tell?
    and are there newer usb2 drivers out than the one i have now?

system specs shuttle an35n-400 ultra
    1024 megs ddr 333
    win2k sp4+updates
    amd athlon XP 2400
    rad 9800 pro
    logitech wingman rumblepad
    saitek p220 gamepad

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    I would unplug the game pads then download and install the newest drivers from the net then reboot with the pad plugged in and let windows install it.

i already have the latest drivers for my hardware.
    the problem is that windows is not installing them correctly when i plug in my usb device.
    it doesnt even pick up what the usb device is, just says usb device.
    as for generic usb2 drivers, i have no clue where i would get an update for that, if that is what u r referring to.
    there does not seem to be any usb2 drivers included in the latest drivers (nForce_4.27_WinXP2K_WHQL_english.exe).
    im thinking its because win2ksp4 or dx9 now includes usb2 drivers, im not sure.
    anyway, usb2 drivers are installed, the logitech gamepad driver is installed.
    its just when i plug in the gamepad it wont pick it up.

im not sure.... maybe it has something to do with the windows installer since it wont install the gamepad.
    how would i fix that?
    if somebody knowshow to fix this dilemma, i wouldnt mind if you gave me some help.

if i have to resort to a fresh reinstall to see if this is a software problem i would like to know if there are any programs that can let me keep my old desktop settings and copy over the registry settings for my installed programs and games.

I would unplug the game pads then download and install the newest drivers from the net then reboot with the pad plugged in and let windows install it.
    yes, such wonderful help, unplug the usb device and plug it back in.
    As i said earlier, even with the drivers installed, windows will NOT install the device.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by l33t-g4m3r
    if i have to resort to a fresh reinstall to see if this is a software problem i would like to know if there are any programs that can let me keep my old desktop settings and copy over the registry settings for my installed programs and games.

yes, such wonderful help, unplug the usb device and plug it back in.
    As i said earlier, even with the drivers installed, windows will NOT install the device.
    There's no need to be sarcastic. He was offering help, it may not be the help you are looking for but it was help nonetheless.

I think that phishhead is giving you good advice. He was not suggesting that you do a new Windows install (at least not yet), he was suggesting a process to force windows to install the devices again. If the devices/drivers are not working, then you will have to find a way to back up to no device and the reinstall it.

I have a usb printer requires that require the printer be unplugged before the drivers can be properly installed. The drivers seem to install but the printer doesn't work. I suspect the same thing is happening in your case.

Things to try:

1. If drivers or software for the device is listed in the add/remove software section in the control panel, remove them.

2. Click start, right-click my computer, click properties, click hardware tab, then click device driver. Remove the devices you are having problems with. Reboot computer and install drivers with devices unplugged from the computer.

3. Turn off computer, connect one device and reboot. Once it is working properly repeat the process for the other device.

Good luck.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

i have tried uninstalling the software and then the actual device in the device manager, then reinstalling them.
    its not that the device isnt being recognized or that drivers arent installed, its that windows wont install it correctly.
    logitech's drivers have an additional detection setup, when you install them at a certain point it will ask you to plug in the device for the detection process, however even this does not work.
    the wingman is not broken as far as i know, and i have another gamepad ive tested that will not setup either, its a saitek p220 and windows has default drivers for it, no clue why it doesnt work.
    the only thing i can think of is that:
    1: my mobo is not working with usb.
    2: window's drivers and settings for usb are corrupted.
    3: somehow both my gamepads have been broken at the same time.
    4: dx9c broke gamepad support??!?

This is one of the limitations of Win2k and why I don't recommend it as a gaming solution. It had and still has weak driver support. A friend of mine we spent 1 week trying to configure the gaming pad. It was a saitek something or other.

The only way I got it to work was using a generic driver, and then manually configuring the joy stick, and buttons in the control panel.

If your mouse is working in the USB, then this is not a USB issue. It's a driver issue. That or it could be, though I highly doubt it is the directX issue.

I used a 98 driver, a 2k driver, the official driver, and so on... none of it worked. The generic worked but it was as basic as you could get.

If you had another OS, I'd say try that. XP would be my suggestion.

Try reformatting with the current OS and installing
    Last edited by Big Booger; August 17th, 2004 at 05:22 AM.

2k has default drivers for the saitek i have, and i had it set up before, and i had the wingman working before too.
    its just not working now.
    if i have to reinstall is there any way to keep my settings for desktop/outlook/ie/etc.

I believe you can save most of the settings. IE you can save the temp folder, outlook you can export the settings. As for the desktop, I don't quite know what you mean.

It could just be you need to reinstall and that will fix it up. Let us know what way you go. Have you contacted Logitech about this? What did they say?

my desktop shortcuts, toolbars, background, etc.
    do you mean reinstall the logitech drivers or reinstall the os?
    if the os do you mean a fresh reinstall or upgrade reinstall.
    as for contacting logitech, i dont really consider the problem their responsibility since it's not just a logitech gamepad thats being effected.
    in other words, i believe that if i were to try installing any other usb devices besides a mouse, there would be a 99.9% chance of it not installing.

another strange error i get, probably unrelated to the usb, but occurs during older installers of programs is isset_se caused an access violation in setup.exe at 0x00000021.
    maybe some spyware messed up my system i dont know, but windows certainly isnt working right.
    edit: this error doesnt stop the program from installing, it just pops up when an older installer is run. .msi installers i dont think are effected.
    Last edited by l33t-g4m3r; August 19th, 2004 at 04:55 AM.

I'd reinstall the OS as a fresh reinstall. I don't believe you will be able to save your shortcuts, toolbars, but you might be able to save the background. Just go into the display, background properties and browse. IT should take you to the folder where the current image is stored.

Before you reinstall, I'd create a driver disk, and a software disk. On the driver disk, put all the drivers for your hardware, video, mouse, gamepad, etc... on the disk. Burn it and label it.

Then I'd do the same for any software you have installed like compression utilities, antivirus software, media players, etc... Burn it and label it.

Then I'd create a back up CD with Outlook settings, addresses, etc.. IE settings, favorites, etc... and so on. YOu might even be able to put these on a floppy. It depends on how large the files are that you backup.

Maybe it will fix this problem with the gamepads. IF not it could be OS related, like you need to try to get your hands on XP. ANd see if that fixes it.