Thread: Windows 98 Internet Connection Speed Problem

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    British Stud Muffin TZ Veteran GimieGimieGimie's Avatar

Windows 98 Internet Connection Speed Problem

Righty - o folks, a very close friend of mine who i talk to over the Internet but unfortunantly is in another part of the country to me so i can't expect her computer myself, has a problem with her connection speed.

Operating system - Windows 98 SE

Basically, for some odd reason, when ever she connects now, the connection speeds are awful, well even for a 56k 0.5k speeds is unacceptable

Now i've had this problem once or twice before in the past with my Windows 98, upgrading Internet Explorer or installing another browser doesn't fix the problem, i think it's to do with the Windows system files it's self.

I didn't really care to find a long time solution myself, and just reinstalled Windows, and everything worked again.

But unfortunatly, that can't happen in this case, for some reason my friend can't start a installation of Windows or even format because the computer warns her that the drive is "compressed"

Looked in C:\ properties, nothing to show that the drive is compressed, looked at DriveSpace 3, no compression found.

What's going on!?

Is the FAT table corrupted or something?

Wrong DOS version?

I think that the solution to the Internet connection problem is to replace certain system files that actually allow the process of connecting to happen, problem is, i don't know which files they are

That's why a reinstall of Windows was always the best solution.

Isn't Wsock32.dll one of files?

But there's 2 problems here, one bigger then the other, i would like to see both fixed.

I feel like my brain is about to explode thinking about this with the lack of information/communication and all.

I'm stuck, if anyone can help me and my friend, please feel free to releave some stress

Many thanks in advance people, i'm real tired now and nearly falling alseep on the keyboard, so i'm heading off to bed, hopefully i'll have something to go on in the morning , goodnight
    Last edited by GimieGimieGimie; June 26th, 2002 at 00:12 AM.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    easy fix would to fdisk or format with partition magic since she's using drive space or something like that...what about MTU sttings in the reg. just something to throw out there

Originally posted by phishhead
    easy fix would to fdisk or format with partition magic since she's using drive space or something like that...what about MTU sttings in the reg. just something to throw out there
    Think that's safe if the computer thinks the drives are compressed when their apparently not?

Btw- It isn't a virus either, scanned and checked with a good virus scanner.

Partition magic would kick ass, but how the hell can i get it to her? 20mb at least and all

Will Fdisk reset the whole drive back to a starting point?

I'm confused with this situation and what her computer is actually thinking.

MTU - I never thought of that phish, i'll take a peak tomorrow, thanks

Originally posted by GimieGimieGimie

Will Fdisk reset the whole drive back to a starting point?
    yeah, you can delete all the partitions , and recreate all of them and i think there should be no problem with it saying they are compressed...

Blackwar

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    I think on the win98 startup disk you can use the fdisk command and then del non fat partitions. then del the active c:\ partition start from scratch...some of those little problems take so long to trouble shoot that you could have reformatted and loaded everything by the time you figure it out.

Originally posted by Blackwar

yeah, you can delete all the partitions , and recreate all of them and i think there should be no problem with it saying they are compressed...

Blackwar
    Alright then brother's

That's what i was hoping you would say

Now all i gotta do is find detailed instructions on how to explain to a newbie on how to use fdisk, lmao

Guess i better get cracking on that, but if anyone else would like to comment on this like BB, you're more then welcome

Phish saved the day on that one!

http://www.pcabusers.net/fdisk.html

Thanks phish and everyone else, i'm well tired at the moment, i don't think i could fight myself out of a paper bag at the moment

But i gotta sort out my friend ya know?
    Last edited by GimieGimieGimie; June 26th, 2002 at 00:12 AM.

All Fdisked, Formated, Windows Installed, & Programs Setup!

Internet working flawlessly!

Thanks guys for all your help, it's really appreciated!

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    With my experience with 98, upgrading to the latest browser will speed up dial-up connections by a bit.

Originally posted by Conan
    With my experience with 98, upgrading to the latest browser will speed up dial-up connections by a bit.
    Yup, this is the case from my point of view too

IE 5.0 - Slow loading pages, lack of security galore, use this and you're asking for all kinds of trouble

IE 5.01 SP1 - Slightly faster, not by much, more security and added features.

IE 5.5 SP2 - Really fast loading of pages, i would think the same speed as any other web browser out on the market today, Opera does nothing for my computer. Has all the security most people need today, and gets the job done nicely, never crashs, the best IE version you can use with Windows 98SE in my opinion.

IE 6.0 - Not any faster then IE 5.5, more style, better graphics, more security, crashs 24/7 on my system, one buggy peice of shi*!