Thread: can't able to install win2k prof

can't able to install win2k prof

i am having a 10gb harddisk with redhat linux 9.0 installed on it. now i am trying to format and install win2k prof on this....but when i am trying to do this ....it's coming upto format screen,then after 2 r 3 hours it's showing 2% r 3% in format process status,which has to be done in a minute r 2. then i tried installing win NT[just to clarify whether the problem is with win2k r with windows],upto my surprise,win NT getting installed as if there is no problem. i tried installing win2k after fdisk/mbr..but problem is still persisting..

can anybody help me

thanx

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Check your Win2k disk. Could be as simple as that. Could be that you need the 2k boot disks.

http://www.shaneo.com/bootdisks/

There are 4, you will need 4 floppies. That should do it for you.

didn't solved

thnx for u reply booger,i had tried with what u said,but the problem is still persisting.if i installed win Nt and then if i try installing win2000 pro, i am selecting leave the current file system intact and then proceed then win2000 pro is getting installed , if i try installing win2000 pro by formatting it's not getting installed.it's strucking at format, as i told before.if i did that after winNT and selecting keep the current file system intact then win2000 pro is installing.i couldn't guess where the exactly is the problem.can u help me in this.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Have you tried this:

partition your drive. Create a new partition 1-5GB should be enough. On this new partition, but the contents of the Windows 2k pro disk.

Then using a boot disk (windows 98, ME, etc..) should work, boot the disk. Cd to the partition you created. Then run setup.exe to get the windows 2k installation going.

It could be that your computer is having trouble installing from the CDROM drive. Doing the partitioning, will confirm this.

If this fails, post back and I will find another solution.

i will try

i will try this........thnx