Thread: How-to: Recover from a Corrupt Registry

She who must be obeyed Super Moderator piaqt's Avatar

How-to: Recover from a Corrupt Registry

When you try to start or restart your Windows XP-based computer, you may receive one of the following error messages:

Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
    Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SOFTWARE
    Stop: c0000218 {Registry File Failure} The registry cannot load the hive (file): \SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE or its log or alternate
    The procedure described in this article uses Recovery Console, System Restore, and lists all the required steps in specific order to ensure that the process completes fully.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q307545

Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.
    love, piaqt

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    Or you can get ontrack and it will back up your registry...like mine everynight at 4am along with a virus scan...man I should work for these guys love there products...just dl easyrecovery from them and del some text files emptied recycle bin and sure enough got them back...they also have filefixer for ms office files. this is like the 10th time I spammed about them...so can someone just try it out you'll love it...
    ontrack system suite 4.0