Thread: Internet Exployer

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Internet Exployer

How do i uninstall IE6? I have already done the add/remove or fix in the programs part and it didnt work. So what can i do ?

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    You can't uninstall IE 6. The best you can do is to configure the Set Program Access and Defaults to your liking.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Depending on the OS conan. AFAIK, 95, 98, 98SE, and ME don't have that Program Access and Defaults feature. That is only present in XP.

For windows 98:

The basic steps are as follows:

Step 1. Use a test system. Do this on a PC that you can easily reformat and reconfigure if need be after your test.

Step 2. Replace shell. On a PC with Windows 98 installed, boot to DOS (hold down Ctrl and select Command Prompt Only). Move explorer.exe from the C:\Windows directory to a floppy. Move shell32.dll and comdlg32.dll from C:\Windows\System to floppies. Copy the Windows 95 versions of these three files into the correct locations and reboot. At this point, Brooks says you have a smaller, faster Windows shell. You can run IE at any time by switching these three files back. But let's continue to remove IE itself.

Step 3. Delete folders. In Windows 98, delete the following folders (including all files they contain) from the C:\Windows folder:
    o Catroot
    o Cookies
    o Downloaded Program Files
    o History
    o Java
    o Temporary Internet Files
    o Web

From the C:\Windows\Application Data\Microsoft folder, delete Internet Explorer and Welcome. From the C:\Program Files folder, delete Internet Explorer and Uninstall Information. Search for and delete all Desktop.ini and *.htt files (used for "Web view" of folders). Finally, if you are the sole user of the PC, delete C:\Windows\All Users.

Step 4. Delete Favorites. Exit to DOS and delete the C:\Windows\Favorites folder.

On the downside, you lose the Windows Update feature, but you can get the same thing with any browser at www.walbeehm.com/win98upd.html. (See below for hyperlinks.) Notepad and WordPad won't work either, but you can copy the Win95 versions if you need these editors.
    http://www.cnn.com/TECH/computing/9903/09/removeie.idg/

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Oops sorry, I didn't notice this was the Windows 95/98/98SE/ME section.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Booger
    That is only present in XP.
    It's also in 2000 SP4 but you're right about 9x. You could try Boog's suggestion, or perhaps this app: http://www.litepc.com/

[Enlarge]