Thread: Chinese IME doesn't work

Unhappy Chinese IME doesn't work

[FONT=Courier New]Hi all,

I've got a problem with Microsoft Global IME. I've got WinMe OS, 1GHz P3, 256 Mb. I also have Office 2000 installed. I had Simplified Chinese IME and language pack installed (downloaded from Microsoft). These worked fine until I tried loading MS Project 2002. I then lost the use of the Simplified Chinese IME, so I can no longer type in Chinese.

I have tried uninstalling Project 2002. This has not re-instated my access to the Chinese IME. I have tried to load the IME for use in Office XP, hoping that it would cover the updated Office settings caused by use of Project 2002. This has not worked either as the XP Chinese IME recognises that Office XP was not installed on my PC.

I am only trying to use the IME in Word and Outlook Express, so I'm completely at a loss as to what I should try to do next in order to get the simplified Chinese IME back. The IME is still in the right place on my hard-disk, so I wonder if there is a registry problem.

If any of you have any suggestions how I can fix this, I'd appreciate it if you could let me know.

Thanks!

MG

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    SInce you are using Windows ME why not give system restore a shot? Could work. If it does let us know, if not also let us know.

Talking

Hi Big Booger,

I tried to do a System Restore, but the earliest date available is not early enough. I've had this problem with the IME for some time. When I went to the earliest restore date, the IME still refused to work!

Wish I could have more positive news to report, but...

Thanks for your help.

MG

Have you tried uninstalling and then reinstalling Office 2000? Then try to install the Chinese IME?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/...e/install.mspx

Hi Big Booger,

Yes, I've tried that previously, but it didn't work. I was surprised that it had no effect whatsoever.

I'm wondering whether I should re-install WindowsMe...

Regards,
    MG

A reinstall should definitely do it. Sometimes that is the fastest fix for these issues as troubleshooting can take days or even weeks.