Thread: Small Network issue

Red face Small Network issue

i know that i am missing something here and i cant see what hope you guys can help.

I have a 5 PC Peer-to-Peer network (No Server) and i have setup a network using the home network wizard, they are all using XP Pro SP2 and all have different user names and passwords. heres the problem. i have enabled file and print sharing but only some folders are allowing me access, the files that dont give me access say i must enter a username and password or they just say access denied.

Help please.

Thanks in advance

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    This is normal. It usually occurs when you try to share the top branch of a file or folder... Like sharing C: drive, or the Windows folder..

Each of those have multiple subfolders.. for some strange reason, MS makes you share each subfolder individually to gain full read and write access...

It has happened to me many times.. and I hate having to individually share each sub folder... but it was the only way that I figured out how to solve this issue... perhaps someone else can provide a better solution, but for now, try sharing all subfolders individually.

Thanks

thanks,

I tried what you suggested and shared each file in the tree indivdualy and it worked a trea.

Thanks again

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    It's just one of those oddities that comes up... I think it is sort of a security precaution.. but there should be a way to share every folder even sub directories automatically....

Don't ask me how though