Thread: How many watts does a 1700+ OC'd to 2.4 take?

Question How many watts does a 1700+ OC'd to 2.4 take?

I'm getting a peltier, so, I was wondering which one I should buy, a 170 watt or a 350 watt? If I buy the 350, and the processor is even 150, there is going to be condensation. Anyway, suppose I can't disperse off the 350 + 150 (processor) = 500 WATTS!!! of heat enough by using a mere heatsink fan, will the peltier still cool the processor sufficiently? If I watercool the peltier, again there's going to be heavy condensation, right? Another thing, I'm also going to have to attach another UPS for the peltier alone, even if it's 170 watts beacuse I don't want my whole machine to go up in flames when there's a blackout. A free peltier to anyone who can answer these questions Ok, just kidding Or am I... Ok, I'm just kidding Or AM I... Ok now I'm really kidding.. that's it, ok. I'm done.
    Last edited by Death; September 12th, 2004 at 20:45 PM.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Why are you going with a peltier cooling system? They seem overly expensive, dangerous and not worth the effort. Considering you are only looking to from 1700+ to 2400+, honestly, you are probably better off in the long run getting a Mobile 2600+ or 3200+ or perhaps even A64 ...

You should also consider your overal system design for airflow, the peltier generates enormous amounts of heat, heat that has to be removed either with water, good Fans, and efficient case fan design.

Also condenstation can be an issue causing short circuits. Ensure the kit you buy comes with some intelligence, in that it doesnt turn on until the CPU has warmed up enough to not cause condenation, ~ few seconds after startup.

good luck.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Ok, guys, I have the BEST thing ever. My uncle's giving me a whole compressor unit with the condensor coils and stuff. I'll be making a case around my cabinet that'll have a hole for the cables. I'll seal the hole using silicon adhesive which can easily be cut with a blade. Now here's the cool part. This actually works like the frost free fridges. The air from the inside is taken in from one duct and blown over the freezing coils from another, the result - all the moisture gets stuck to the cooling coils. Small heater coils that activate through a timer are used to remove the ice formed on the coils. So, now everything's cool, my ram, GFX card, hard drives, and of course the processor... like I said.. EVerything hahahahahah (Evil laughter)

And by the way, I'm overclocking to 2.4 GHz that's a 3200+. I'm already running at 2.09 GHz (2400+) @ 42ºC CPU temp with 100% usage. I did go to 2.2, but decided I needed better cooling. I might even be able to go higher than 2.4, you never know. I'll also be smoothning out my heatsink's base to a mirror shine.
    Last edited by Death; September 13th, 2004 at 08:26 AM.

how the heck do I delete a thread?

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Death
    how the heck do I delete a thread?
    Do you want me to delete this thread for you?

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Death, Looks like your computer is more an industrial zone than study room, but a good exercise nonetheless with some nice speed improvements.

It would be nice to see some pics when it is all setup...

Now, where did my car-radiator go??

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Quote Originally Posted by cash_site
    Death, Looks like your computer is more an industrial zone than study room, but a good exercise nonetheless with some nice speed improvements.

It would be nice to see some pics when it is all setup...
    Sure

Now, where did my car-radiator go??

Quote Originally Posted by Conan
    Do you want me to delete this thread for you?
    No, I wanted to delete a reply because it somehow got posted twice. Sorry, didn't mean thread