Thread: Windows XP Pro: Can't log in!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Windows XP Pro: Can't log in!

Here's my problem, I started my Windows XP pro normally, however... once you click on a log in name, it says "Loading person settings", briefly displays the wallpaper, then immediately logs out.

I tried running safe mode, no good. I tried the admin account, no good. I have LOST my Windows XP start up disk, so I cannot simpley re-install windows.

Is their anyway I can repair this without the Windows XP start up disk??

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    In essence, without the XP disk, there's not much you can do. If safe mode didn't work, if the admin account has no access, I dun't know how else to fix it.

I'd say get on a public or friends PC, and get yourself a copy of the XP startup disks.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

That link above gives the disks for XP with SP1 installed.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Booger
    In essence, without the XP disk, there's not much you can do. If safe mode didn't work, if the admin account has no access, I dun't know how else to fix it.

I'd say get on a public or friends PC, and get yourself a copy of the XP startup disks.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

That link above gives the disks for XP with SP1 installed.

Hope that helps.
    Ok, I downloaded these start up disks, but how do they work? When I insert the main boot disk into the A: Drive and restart, it just boots windows, the others don't do anything by themselves I assume.

You need to make sure your BIOS is set to boot from the floppy disk first. I don't know the settings for your particular BIOS, so you will have to figure that one out on your own. Once you do that, simply insert #1 disk, and follow the instructions.

Then make sure you have your XP CD ready. YOu can either repair XP, install over the top of the current installation, or format and start over completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Booger
    You need to make sure your BIOS is set to boot from the floppy disk first. I don't know the settings for your particular BIOS, so you will have to figure that one out on your own. Once you do that, simply insert #1 disk, and follow the instructions.

Then make sure you have your XP CD ready. YOu can either repair XP, install over the top of the current installation, or format and start over completely.
    But uhh, I don't have the XP CD... I thought that's why I had to make those 6 floppies?

Is their any way I can repair the problem using something like Knoppix? Perhaps there is a way to poke around with the hard drive via an temperary alternate operating system.

You could use Knoppix, but the thing is, how do you know what to repair.

Have you tried this:

you might try ctrl/alt/del twice at the login screen and enter Administrator with no password... it may allow you to get into the machine.

You could also use one of those prebuilt XP tool cds. I don't know where you'd get anything like that, but do a search and I am sure you can find it. They allow you to boot Xp, and repair damaged files and so on.

Check out this thread. It has a link to lavasoft where they explain how to cure a similar problem caused by removing search assistant

XP attempts login then logs out .. oops forgot the thread, sorry

Did you run Adaware 6 on the system before the probelm started, if yes than do this:

At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following lines, pressing ENTER after you type each line:
    cd system32

copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe

exit

How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;307654

There's another method to try and fix this if you were running adaware.