Thread: sound card suddenly out of resources??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question sound card suddenly out of resources??

my friends computers sound card suddenly stopped working, and xp gives a message that there isnt enough free resources to run it, well we have freed up resources, reinstalled the drivers, and moved the card to a different slot. i am confused, does anybody know what the funk is going on here?

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    first thing that comes to mind is do a vvirus scan

try the online virus scanner ffrom trend

www.antivirus.com

can you give more info on tyhe setup?
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Also a spyware scan.

some 411 on sound card setup

is a soundblaster live pci card installed on a AMD 1gig processor 500megs ram windows xp home edition.Seems like everything gets installed to IRQ 9 for some reason allot of sharring there. I got 4 usb ports and AGP video card 1 ethernet pci card and pci modem as well cam runs in usb. 1 56xcd rom and 1 cd burner as well. sound card allways worked then quit intermittently with boot mssge that it was sharring resorces with IDE asking if its compatable? y/n ??or f1 to cont.Also an odd addition @ the same time SB quit I have aquired a hardware profile and XP will not allow me to delete it at all. Deep viral scann has been done a few times with AVG and worm gaurd (says system is clean) but??? Swapping PCI slots dont work but card installs on other computers so it is good.System seemed to have no trouble installing my ethernet card so I am stumped?????????

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    you can manually give it an irq. or take out all the cards reboot with the cards out then shut down reinstall the cards and boot back up and see if windows straightens itself out. if you do it manually though you just have to becareful when installing anything so it doesnt conflict. have you tried a system restore?

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Or in Device Manager you can uninstall the PCI bus, reboot and let the system redetect and reallocate the resources.