Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The good 'ol days

Titanium Member

The good 'ol days

Oh how I long for the good 'ol days when TZ was just a "tech community" - where people (geeks) from all over the world can share our one true passion (obsession) - computers. There was no concern for latitude nor longitude and there certainly was no attitude - only to help out a like minded geek with the only important issue that meant anything - a crisis of the highest order! computer not responding!

I suppose other boards have come to realize that politics tend to squelch what the board is all about. For instance:
    Action: Political and Religious Topics. There are many other forums specifically for political and religious debates, this is not one of them. [edited] is a graphics community and since these types of posts usually result in heated debates and flaming, they should be avoided.
    Result: Threads are closed and/or removed.
    Perhaps we can select which forums are visible? I don't want to continually fight the urge to open a thread that I know i'm going to get upset over and possibly receive a bashing over. I'm here for technical issues and to make like minded "friends" no matter which part of the world they are from - it's easy when you leave out the politics and focus on our similarities instead of differences.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    So do you want to drop all the other non computer related forums. Like General Chat,Sport,Media & Enterntainment,Fun Stuff......... ?????

We had heated political debates in the General Chat forum long before the Current Affairs & Politics forum was created.So whats the difference now ????

If you don't want to read the threads in a specific forum,don't click the links to it.

I understand your point of view LK,but can you be more specific.

Whats different with TZ now compared to 1 or 2 years ago???

TZ is still one of the friendliest and laid back communities around IMHO.Or do you not agree??
    Last edited by Reverend; September 25th, 2004 at 23:36 PM.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Just to add.
    I personally tend to keep political opinions to myself hence the fact that you won't find many posts from me in the Politics forum.

Does anyone else have strong concerns or reservations about having the Politics forum. Would you like it to stay or would you prefer it to be dropped from the list ???

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I agree with Reverend wholeheartedly. The general thread was just filling up with all sorts of things.. it made it difficult to sort through. By adding other sections like the politics, current affairs, fun stuff, entertainment, sport, the general thread can be used for just general or random posts. And now it is easier for users to avoid topics that they don't like.

If you don't like politics, simply don't view that forum. Same goes for sport, fun stuff, entertainment and so on. I should think that would make it easier to avoid topics that you are not interested in.

I think our forum has had some very healthy debates on certain topics. That is not to say that every thread went smoothly. Indeed some became rather heated. I believe this is normal. And that the moderating staff did an excellent job when it came time to moderate.

What is wrong with geeks sharing their computer passion while at the same time discussing a variety of topics and issues?

Titanium Member
    :
    very healthy debates on certain topics
    Really solves none of the worlds issues - but may cause conflict and disharmony here
    It seems, lately, some come here not for technical issues or to help but to post primarily in politics and to bash others who don't share the same viewpoint.

Some graphics communities have realized that this causes separation rather than community/unity. Some start to judge others on their political views rather than how they contribute to the community. It is just my opinion that this "tech community" should stay focused on tech issues. Fun stuff, general, etc hardly results in heated debates.

I am not the only "vet" who has noticed that TZ's atmosphere has changed.
    :
    one of the friendliest and laid back communities around
    - the reason I stuck around this long and consider TZ "home" of home groups

ok well, i'll just stay away from that forum I guess - I prefer though, to not even see it.
    Last edited by Big Booger; September 26th, 2004 at 05:42 AM.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    I totally get what you're referring to Lynch. Even I have voiced my concerns about members who come here just to bash other people's beliefs instead of helping others with their "computer knowledge".

In addition, Rev is right in saying that debates about these sort of issues were present in General Chat even before we created the "Current Affairs and Politics" section. In essence we created that section so that people precisely would not get too bothered or riled up about having a healthy debate in this section compared to General Chat. You can compare it to being a really mild version of NXSecure's "Cussing Room" (where what goes on in there stays there, and never comes out in the open), though at times people did take the issues too seriously and voiced their displeasure at being offended by other member's remarks.

I wouldn't mind eliminating the "Current Affairs and Politics" section if it would bring more Peace to Techzonez. But that is my opinion alone and I would like to hear from the rest of the members and staff about this issue.

Triple Platinum Member
    lk are u implying no arcade...no arcade...? how can we survive with no arcade?
    i am no tz veteran but i agree with bb in totality:

If you don't like politics, simply don't view that forum. Same goes for sport, fun stuff, entertainment and so on. I should think that would make it easier to avoid topics that you are not interested in.

I think our forum has had some very healthy debates on certain topics. That is not to say that every thread went smoothly. Indeed some became rather heated. I believe this is normal. And that the moderating staff did an excellent job when it came time to moderate.

What is wrong with geeks sharing their computer passion while at the same time discussing a variety of topics and issues?
    Last edited by rohitk89; September 26th, 2004 at 04:22 AM.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    very healthy debates on certain topics
    Really solves none of the worlds issues - but may cause conflict and disharmony here
    It seems, lately, some come here not for technical issues or to help but to post primarily in politics and to bash others who don't share the same viewpoint.

Very few debates solve anything. But they allow one to vent, discuss, and send out their message. If you don't agree, hey post it up. Just don't attack someone because of their belief. Mature people should be able to agree to disagree.

Example: I hate George Bush because ~

Don't say: we'll you suck... because you hate George Bush.

Instead: Well I like George Bush because...

Attack the topic not the person posting up their opinion.

Can you show me a thread where politics or current events leaked over into an unrelated forum? Certainly having a place for those who want to discuss what is going on the world, would be nice. I mean, it opens TZ up to other people who are interested in technology, but want to talk about a variety of topics.

It's like TZ is a pizza, and well our cheese and pepperoni pizza was and is tasty, but if we throw on more toppings and we arrange it so that people who don't like one topping can avoid that topping...

I'd prefer that over just a plain on cheese pizza without any other choices

bash others who don't share the same viewpoint.
    Please show me where anyone has bashed anyone else and I will delete the post personally.

Triple Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Booger
    It's like TZ is a pizza, and well our cheese and pepperoni pizza was and is tasty, but if we throw on more toppings and we arrange it so that people who don't like one topping can avoid that topping...

I'd prefer that over just a plain on cheese pizza without any other choices

Titanium Member
    There is bashing going on BB - however subtle is it, I see it.
    How healthy can a "healthy debate" be when people get angry? It is easy to get upset about some topics and I don't believe anyone is immune to it completely. I believe it shifts focus on community to see our differences which is counterproductive to building frienships (community) out of similarities.
    As far as bleeding over goes, I will not speak to certain individuals whom I felt disrespected me and this board in general. You don't just storm into a forum as a newcomer and throw around insults and get into arguments with the old timers. A newcomer should take the time to get to know the members and the general atmosphere of the board.
    As someone once posted in another forum (that had some issues)
    one thing I will not tolerate is a stranger coming into our house and rubbing dirty boots all over our furniture and not expect repercussions.
    As I already stated that
    ok well, i'll just stay away from that forum I guess - I prefer though, to not even see it.
    -
    Last edited by lynchknot; September 26th, 2004 at 06:34 AM.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    I agree with Lynch & Conan

I don't think there's any need for politics at TZ, but if there's a need then there should be some rule that Administrators/Moderators should not be allowed to interact. If Administrators & Moderators interact then it sends a message to the international community that a certain stance is what TZ entertains. If that message becomes one sided then the international community shrinks to the level of the accepted stance.

The beauty of the Internet is that people from all over the world can put aside their differences and interact with each other in the joys of their interest. TZ use to be a place where I could share my interest but not any more. No now I know that the joys of new hardware are quickly over shadowed by the hatred my fellow members have for my country and maybe myself.

Right now TZ is projecting a Liberal Anti-American bias and in doing so some of the members are jumping on the band wagon and disrespecting some of the American members that didn't join TZ for politics......but of coarse we're told don't look if we don't like it.

Don't look if we don't like it ? LOL! it gets kind of hard when it creeps into all of TZ. Heck even in " Web Design (3 Viewing)
    Building your own web site? Need help with the coding? This is the forum."
    you see F***America, F***Bush and the replys of "OMG that's hilarious!" and "I loved that quote:

America was big bully in playground and 9/11 was getting his two front teeth knocked out." http://www.techzonez.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11874

Yep I might be a jerk because I'm a conservative and I know I'm an A hole because I'm an American that causes all the worlds problems. At one time I was just FastGame, a person who shared his heart, $$$ and interest in computers with the best guys & best site on the net. Now I'm nothing more than a meal for the political vultures who swoop down and bite my rotten a$$.

Chow
    Last edited by FastGame; September 28th, 2004 at 06:28 AM.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    I vote to remove the political affairs forum as I feel the computer brings us together and I really don't want to loose good friends from great places because of politics.

lets leave the debating and stress somewhere else cause I feel many members are having difficulty here.

I want to help others help themselves
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Triple Platinum Member
    i hope it's ok for me to voice my opinion... removing the political affairs section is fine...or maybe restricting the admins from expressing their views so that it doesn't appear that tz has a political stance of any sort.....but i hope all non computer related sections are not removed...
    Last edited by rohitk89; September 28th, 2004 at 06:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend
    TZ is still one of the friendliest and laid back communities around IMHO.Or do you not agree??
    I agree and think you should keep it that way.

Politicians are there for us to ridicule and poke fun at, it's what democracy is about. . .

It's o.k. to laugh at everyone else (e.g. the French), but soon as it's non American we have to start closing things down ??

Is that the answer ??

Someone doesn't like some of the posts we have to close the thread ?

That doesn't sound like a laid back forum to me ??

I think this board is moderated very well and think it would be a shame to start limiting it.
    It seems it would be shrinking and going backwards as a forum instead of growing.

Personally I'd like the "current affairs and politics" thread to stay, but like Egghead said, some people are having a "difficulty" with it.

Rev, there is a command which allows for you to select threads people can see.
    Maybe you could remove it from those who are having trouble with it and allow the other members to discuss current world affairs.
    Anyways, just an Idea to solve the issue.

If you do remove it, does it mean we can't discuss politics at all ? ? And if we do - were do we post it ?

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.~ Groucho

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    well I see this has gotten way out of hand so why doesnt the staff talk about some solutions and see what we come up with. I would hate to lose so ol' timers due to a few over bias members that dont like america. but the other side of the token guys this is not an american forum. we have peeps from all over, that feel differently and hold different beliefs and social structures. but if there is that much tension maybe we should just ax the thread all together or like I was mentioning to rev and boogs maybe put a disclaimer that flaming and disrespect will lead to a perm. ban.