Thread: Moving XP to a different machine(legally!)

Moving XP to a different machine(legally!)

I have a Compaq Evo laptop with XP Home installed and something like 200 pieces of software also installed and working correctly (I demo software for education) I now want to transfer all of this to a new (faster) Compaq laptop.
    Because it took weeks to get all the software in, I am reluctant to install it all again bit by bit, so I thought the sensible thing to do would be to copy everything onto the new hard drive (or simply swop hard drives)

When I swopped hard drives XP recognised the hardware had changed and didn't want to play ball.

Obviously, I have XP Home licences for both machines, so is there anyway I can achieve this without re-installing all my 200 pieces of software? Can I make XP accept the 'new' product key from the second machine, or reactivate it in some way?

Needless to say, I don't want to do anything illegal (I have 2 licences)

Please help someone! It took me about 6 weeks to install all my software the first time - I dread doing all that again!

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Have you tried using the Files and Transfer Wizard ??

Step-by-Step Guide to Migrating Files and Settings

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

When you try to relicense it on the web does it offer you the choice of calling microsoft. Explain the situation...they are usually pretty good at helping. A local number or 1-800 number should be listed in the options.
    Best of luck.