Hey guys,

I've got a problem with windows xp when it starts up. This is how the story goes...
A few days ago my antivirus program (eTRUST - computer assoc) let me know that I had a virus affecting a cmd.exe file somewhere on my computer. i told the program to clean out the virus for me, and so it did.

after that whenever i start up windows xp, i get 5-7 black windows opening all with the heading c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe. some of them disappear automatically, but some of them require manual closing. at the same time my firewall keeps on alerting me that some new program is trying to access the internet.

Now, i've already run my virus scan again and it says its clean, i ran my ad alert program and its removed all spy ware, but the cmd.exe windows still come up. i ran a trojan removal program and it couldn't find anything.

i ran msconfig.exe and tried to remove all the non-essential things. the only weird this is there is this file call ctfmon while i deselected, but it keeps reappearing even though i deselect it everytime. (i don't know if its related to my current problem)

If anyone has had a similar problems or has a possible solution, your advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks a lot